Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HELP PLEASE!! Probs with Radeon 9500 PRO Installation

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2003, 12:42 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK got the card yesterday, a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9500 PRO Retail. Didnt bother installing yesterday as was busy playing with new phone (am so glad I didnt looking back).

Got up this morning. Removed all nvidia drivers from my old GF2 GTS 64mb and setup standard vga adaptor. Turned off PC. Pulled out old gfx card popped in new one, went in sweet as a nut. Attached power chord from PSU (300W) to gfx card.

Then I turned it all on and even the BIOS and boot up screens were garbled. Let Win XP load and could see just enough to log in etc. New hardware found, let it install from CD. Reboot. However no change (which I didnt expect tbh as the pic was garbled before windows even loaded).

Took gfx card out, cleaned agp port for dust, re-inserted radeon and hooked it up to a direct power feed from psu. Turned on and the same but with me getting slightly pissed off at this point.

Any of you fellow radeon owners seen this problem, or do I just have a dud. From what Ive read a 300W PSU is enough to power this card. Also on the same PSU I have a CD-RW, CD-ROM, 2 IDE HDD's and a FDD. If power was the problem would I get the symtoms I am seeing?

I would attempt to change some AGP settings in the BIOS but its so garbled I cant even see the BIOS text enough to be able to read it. Suppose I could memorise the key strokes lol.

Simon.
Old 29 May 2003, 12:51 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

300w is plenty. Mine's in a shuttle, which is only 220w AFAIK.

If you want to prove it's the power, disconnect everything apart from the graphics card & hdd ( & fans )

The other thing is to try it in a different machine - see if you can move the problem.

Rgds
Steve
Old 29 May 2003, 12:56 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

You always try a bios reset?

Just be sure that the card is seated in the agp slot fully. I have had computers where putting the screw in the plate moves the backend of the agp card up slightly.

I too run a 9700Pro in a Shuttle. Think the psu is 235W?

GL
Old 29 May 2003, 01:32 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Question

what's the motherboard... will it support the correct AGP standard and voltage??
Old 29 May 2003, 01:44 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

If it runs a GF2 correctly then yes is supports the necessary standards for the 9xxx range. Not talking compatability mind, just the standards mentioned above.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 29 May 2003, 02:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its an Asus A7V266 Socket A mobo running an Athlon 1.4 so its not exactly from the ark. Im beginning to think its just a dodgy card and people on the Rage3D forum seem to agree. BUGG3R!

Simon.
Old 29 May 2003, 03:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tried everything and still nowt. Ringing retailer up now to get a replacement sorted.

Simon.