Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linux question

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2003, 12:00 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Everybody!

Trying to install Linux for the first time and having a couple of problems...

I downloaded 8.1 from the SuSE ftp site and put the important stuff on a CD mirroring as much as possible the directory structure on the ftp site.

Sorted out the boot floppys and it booted :-)

SuSE screen appeared but it never reached the Yast screen.

I figured this was because I had a bad CD, which turned out to be the case.

The next CD worked, it accessed the CD, and got to the Yast screen, but two things are stopping me from progressing further.

Firstly, having read some of the guff about partitions I thought it best to start with a blank unformatted hard disk with no primary partition. Yast suggested a partition set up but I couldn't get it to actually implement it. This could be due to the "secondly" which I'll come to in a minute. So I went back and placed a DOS primary partition. At the Yast screen I now get a red message saying that this partition should be deleted before proceeding further but I cant get it to actually implement this suggestion.

Secondly, there is a section about software install options. It says in red "no software found" When I go to the detail screen on this there is a list where I am assuming there should be a list of install options e.g minimal, standard, custom etc... However the list is empty and nothing can be picked.

i am guessing this is because I do not have the CD set up correctly (directory structure wise?). However, it matches the setup on the SuSE ftp site.

Because of these two errors at the Yast screen the "accept" button is greyed out and I can not proceed with the installation.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Now I know you could say I am a cheap skate because I can buy it off the shelf but I want to go the free route at first to see if it will be useful. Then maybe I will buy it. Chicken egg chicken egg chicken egg.......................

I should also point out that I am at the limits of my understanding of computer systems here so please don't get too technical on me.

Cheers!
Old 08 May 2003, 12:49 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

Do SUSE not have iso images on the ftp site that you can just burn straight to CDs? I think RedHat do (or did! ) which might get rid of potential directory structure problems. Definitely worth a look.
Old 08 May 2003, 01:57 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

From last look, SuSe have an install program to burn to CD that relies on the computer being connected to the net and being able to see the SuSe FTP server to complete the install.

They stated that they dont have full iso images there any more.

Dave
Old 08 May 2003, 02:11 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Linux, first time, SUSE,

Not my personal choice!
For a first time, never touched linux before I'd suggest Redhat or Mandrake.
Personally I don't like either of them, much prefer debian. Libranet is a very easy to implement version.
Old 08 May 2003, 02:45 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mandrake probably the easyest to install / use off the bat
Old 08 May 2003, 04:05 PM
bigupyourself
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Red Hat do have ISO images on their website - I think the worst problem is actually downloading the images.....it can be a bit time consuming...
Old 08 May 2003, 05:41 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Nick,

I've got Mandrake 9.1 and RedHat 9 CDs if you wanted to post me 3 blanks ones I could copy 'em for you.

regards,

greg

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2003, 11:19 PM
scoobiz
Scooby Regular

just been using RedHat Linux for the past yr! Very reliable. Would highly recommend Redhat as I have a yrs work on it and plenty of books. got full installation guide and correct partition settings.

Need any advice, would gladly help if I can...

cheers

biz