Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone using Linksys Wireless G Network equipment

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2003, 07:38 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having sent back my Netgear kit cause it kept dropping connection on XP, I've had enough of cables trailing all over the place.

Been looking at the sassy looking Linksys G stuff, anyone got any good or bad comments on this gear?

Old 01 May 2003, 09:01 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Im using the Lynksys kit, but I'm afraid Im had the same problems as you have had with dropped connections. If you are using Win XP (and it sounds like it) I believe it is due to the XP Zero Configuration service checking for a connection and it somehow thinks that no connection is available and drops it. It can be cured though (almost). Just put Zero Config to manual instead of auto and no more dropped connections.

The only problem I've had with this is that XP needs the service to detect the card at boot up, so you need it set to auto before XP boots and then you have to turn it off again. A right pain I know but after trawling Google groups this is about as much of a cure as I can find.

GL.
Old 01 May 2003, 09:03 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

The Linksys 54G router doesn't work very well on ADSL and the performance for the chipset isn't that great because Linksys was the one of the first one's on the market for 54G thus they got the first batch (early revision) of early broadcom chipsets.

IMO, if you want 54G for ADSL then the DI-624 54G router with the 300G+ modem works and is the best solution The only downside with D-Link is that its 54G PCI card won't be out till another 1-2weeks