Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

External hard disk - USB2/Firewire/etc

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 11:13 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I've bought a new hard disk for my PC but after using an external USB2 60Gb drive at work I'm starting to warm to the idea of also getting an external (and therefore machine portable) drive.

Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this - Most of the solutions I've seen at places like Dabs seem quite expensive (with small disks). I think the ideal solution would be an empty 3.5" external case with USB2 connectivity, but would firewire be faster? I could then load in an 80 or 120Gb drive of my choosing and upgrade it later if necessary.

I'm not interested in huge speed, hence USB2 being perhaps the best bet - I have an 8Mb 7200 spin in the case for that - but quick data transfer of large data chunks would be very nice indeedy

I'd be interested to hear your comments on this one.

Thanks in advance
Julian

{edited to add I don't want to think about external SCSI as the disks are too expensive, especially compared to the 5400 spin drives that would be suitable for these types of enclosures}

[Edited by jbryant - 4/14/2003 11:15:47 AM]
Old 14 April 2003, 11:18 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I got an external USB2 case for mine as I wanted to free up some case drive bays, plus my HDD was getting very hot. Its only got my DVD-Rom in it currently, but it does the job very nicely. Runs just as well as it would internally.

What I plan to do is put my 120Gb drive into it inside my Hardcano drive cooler. That way, its portable and you can monitor the temp as an added bonus. The hardcano has a fan at the front and the case has a fan at the back so its should keep it nice and cool.