Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CD Audio Recording question

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2003, 11:17 AM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi
Here's one for the audio teccies

Is there a preferable format for recording CD audio onto the PC before burning back to CD as an audio CD? [should I save the files as MP3, WAV or WMA files]

Also, what is the most appropriate quality to record the data at for each of the formats for optimum CD quality reproduction?

ie I am looking to create CD compilations therefore cannot directly copy from one CD to the CD-R.

Thx
Nige
Old 01 April 2003, 12:05 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAV files are an uncompressed format, so a CD quality WAV will be around 11megs per audio minute.

If you're going to save your CDs on your HDD for later compilation making, I suggest you use a compression format like MPEG.
There is lossey and lossless compression lossless means compressing the audio, but retaining the audio quality. The less compression applied keeps you nearer to CD quality.

Which one to use though?
MP3 (mpeg1 layer 3) is quite old, but even with this codec, with a high enough bit rate you can keep your CD quality for less drive space than an 'apparently' equivalent quality WAV file.
AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) or mpeg2 is a newer version of the mp3 codec and takes up less drive space and requires a lower bit rate than your conventional mp3 to achieve the same quality. You need to find the bit rate required to keep the CD quality tho.

I'd look at storing them in AAC for CD quality at much lower than WAV size.

If you go the MP3 route, I've used MusicMatch for CD to MP3 to CD quite happily. DJ Dunk recommends Nero (does AAC apparently).

I found this yesterday - not sure if it helps
http://www.cdcopy.sk/overview.php3