Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SUSE Linux and NIS problem

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 04:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Any Linux gurus out there?

I have SUSE8.1 running on a PC and I have SUSE 7.3 running on a SUN 220R Enterprise Server.

The problem I am having is I have an NIS Master server setup on another E220R which works fine, I have all the usual maps setup and if I have another SUN as a Client everything works so does my HPUX client, but I am trying to use auto_direct maps to on demand mount a few directories as and when they are CDd to. Like I say this works fine on solaris and hpux but on LINUX they are not on demand mounted.

if I do a ypcat auto.direct from any of my clients I can see the contents as I would expect it.

My auto_master, auto_home and auto_direct files are setup and are converted to maps.

At first I suspected the automounter to be at fault but as the home directories are NFS mounted and work on all clients this can not be the problem.

Another problem is that I can not /net/hostname/blah this comes back as directory not found, but if I mount the files manualy using mount it works, we tried it on REDHAT and got the same /net problem but we fixed it by starting another automount service but SUSE does not have this service, we have all the relevent NFS and autofs services loaded and running.

So does anyone know why I can not on demand mount the 2 directories listed in my auto.direct map.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07 March 2003, 08:54 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

So either none of you use Linux or none of you have had the problem, which is it???

I have also checked on the LInux HOWTO site and the SUSE site and on the HP ITRC site an no luck anywhere, so am I trying to do something that Linux is incapable of or what? And ther was me be told that linux was the best thing since sliced bread and could do anything a real UNIX machine could.
Old 07 March 2003, 09:22 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoever told you that was wrong Sorry I can't help you, I don't use Linux for things like that. Shouldn't you be running Solaris on a Sun?
Old 07 March 2003, 10:19 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Steve, I have got Solaris 8 running on my NIS master server but I also found a copy of LINUX that runs on SPARC so decided to try it out, the Machine is a twin CPU 450mhz server with 2gb RAM and 64 mb grafix card so it is a meaty machine, the linux OS does not fully support the top of the range grafix card so the display is abit pants but it is usable.

Personally the only good thing I have found about LINUX is the amount of hames that comes with it