Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Another cry for help

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2003, 11:03 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Problem # 720 (same subject - different machine)

After successfully cloning the HD of the XP box, I did the same thing to move the contents of a Windows ME machine to a new box. The copy was successful, as was clearing the device manager and reinstalling all devices - there are no exclamation marks or red X's in the device manager.

However, I cannot get the integrated sound to work. I know the chipset (Analog Devices Inc - ADI 1885) and have got the correct drivers for ME from the Dell website (it's a Dell PC). These install without a hitch, the hardware is correctly detected and device manager reports the device is working correctly, but if (for example) I go into the control panel and attempt to play any of the Windows Sounds (WAV files) I get one of two errors - one says the file may be corrupt or requires Audio Compression to be installed (*installed*), the other that the sound card may be in use Attempting to play any other sound file either does nowt or gives one of these two errors.

Another wierd thing, I disabled the Wave Device for Voice modem, and then got an error that no device was installed. This lead me to think there was a conflict between modem and sound card (although no conflicts reported in Device Manager, not sharing resources etc.) and physically removing the sound card from the box does not correct this.

I've reached the point where I am going around in circles - can anyone give me a new direction to go off in before I tear out the little bit of hair I have left?

Cheers.