Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Spangly new power PC - any tips from the pros :)

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2003, 04:52 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just spent the last 3 days building myself a top of the range spangly new PC, with just about everything in it that I could get my hands on.

Windows XP was the OS of choice, and now (thanks to ChrisB and his tips last night - cheers matey ), I am fully up and running with the new system, and trying to get to grips with everything.

So any security tips from the experts? What options do I need to change in XP to keep me secure? I have Sygate and PC-Cillin fitted currently.

So, fire away

Oh, and anyone know if its possible to recover a hard disk that has been spiked by a power problem/lightning?

Also, how can I guard against future power spikes? The one last week managed to knock out my old PC including hard drive, BIOS, Mobo, cd rom, cd burner, memory and keyboard (!!).

I am/was plugged via a surge protector, but this one came from the internal power supply [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

DW
Old 17 February 2003, 04:59 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Make sure you grab all the Security updates and IE bugs from WindowsUpdate is a good start.
Old 17 February 2003, 05:07 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris

Set to autoupdate for now, and it keeps downloading stuff. Came with Service Pack 1 if that means owt?

Any security holes to be aware of?

Old 17 February 2003, 05:56 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

DW,
It is possible to buy a Universal Power Supply( UPS ) for home systems, this will guard against power spikes. There are heaps of sites online to help you sort out XP http://www.blackviper.com/ is very good, also http://www.tipsdr.com/ is good. Keep it safe by turning off file sharing and un-necessary services. A good util is Bootvis to make it boot quicker, and if you want a fast OS for gaming go to the control panel applet performance and tell it to run for best performance.

Edit to say if you are worried about security use a product like Zonealarm or Blackice. Also get friendly with the system restore utility located under Programs-accessories-system tools create a restore point always before installing or changing things.

[Edited by swaussie - 2/17/2003 6:07:13 PM]
Old 17 February 2003, 06:44 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

I like to use big fix to keep me informed of what needs doing