Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Umbrella Companies ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 01:32 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone use an Umbrella Company at all ?
I'm looking into the pros and cons of keeping the Ltd Co going or switching to an Umbrella Co.
Are they worth it and do they really max your take home income ?

Any opinions gratefully received.
Old 27 January 2003, 01:51 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Whats an umbrella company??

I can then give pros & cons once i know this.
Old 27 January 2003, 02:13 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

inspires confidence - what's an umbrella company, then I'll tell you

Contractors require a limited company to operate. the 2 avenues are to own and run your own ltd company or use an existing ltd company who's purpose is to take your invoiced monies, paye tax them, manage your expenses and pay you a net monthly income. they of course charge a small monthly fee for this and are usually run by large accountancy firms.
Old 27 January 2003, 02:22 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

BL; if you don't know, then you can't really comment on this mate, as I need someone with experience of using one.

Fosters; do you use one ? At the mo, I'm using an accountant for my returns, but looking into switching to an umbrella. I don't find doing my own accounts that hard (or maybe I'm missing something! I'll know soon as it's my first return this year! ) so not sure what they can offer ?
Old 27 January 2003, 02:34 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I don't and haven't used an umbrella, but in the 7 years of being contract and the 12 of working alongside them, you pick up a few bits and bobs.

If you're sucked into IR35 then I would use an umbrella company, because the accounts are too simple and boring to manage on your own.
If you can evade IR35 or have non IR35 contracts alongside your main IR35 compliant contract, then get an accountant to manage your ltd company for you.

I've found personally that recommended normal (not contractor) accountants are better for contractors. a good one seems to know the pitfalls and tax breaks available to you more than the 200 'packed in like chickens' accountants at a contractor-specific accountancy firm.

To quote a personal example: I usually (pre IR35) took what money I wanted and the accountant, at the end of the year, sorted out dividend payments, dates, ACT, CT61s and MCT for me... until my contractor accountancy firm decided quantity was better than quality. the last year I was with them, they said you haven't declared any dividends (yes, you do all that for me) - you owe the IR 29K tax for directors loans. you'll get most of it back when you've paid the loans off. fecking great.

My new local family accountant has sorted things beautifully.

don't take anything for granted with these volume accountants!!!
Old 27 January 2003, 02:42 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Ah.
I went with a personally recommended accountant and he seemed to know his stuff.
Like you said, he advised that I can take out what I need and then he'll sort out the payments at the end of the year and tot them up to see if I can take out any more or owe the company anything.
Old 27 January 2003, 06:09 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Hi Devil, i'm a contractor myself but do the Ltd Co routine.

Have you tried http://www.contractoruk.co.uk