Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox, PC's, routers and NTL broadband

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 04:33 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to think myself around the problem about getting my Xbox and PC on broadband without having to splash out on the wireless network route.

Thing is PC is upstairs, XBox downstairs by the set top box. I was gonna get the cable modem installed by the PC.

I can get into the engineering menu on the NTL set top box and get the MAC address of the set top box. If I buy a cable modem router and copy this MAC address to the router, is it then just a case of taking the router upstairs or downstairs to get each online? I don't want both Xbox and PC online together.

Am I being silly here, is there a pee easy way that's cheap?
Old 17 January 2003, 11:09 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

What I think I mean is can I copy the mac address downstairs onto a cable router up stairs then NTL will see one device as far as they are concerned and I will have PC plugged into cable modem and xbox plugged into tv box and everything will work
Old 19 January 2003, 04:21 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 19 January 2003, 04:30 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

Don't know about cable, I have ADSL, but the easiest route is to run a cat5 cable to your X-Box downstairs.

Not always easy, but so long as the cable downstairs has an attenuator fixed to it as well and it uses the same cable source, there is no reason I can see that will stop you from using the router downstairs without messing about with MAC addresses.

My old blueyonder cable broadband had an attenuator mid-cable that filtered out the bits that the modem did not need. I'd imagine you'd need to attach one of these to get the modem working on your digibox feed ?

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 1/19/2003 4:32:04 PM]
Old 19 January 2003, 05:07 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

the way my setup is built is as follows

NTL Set top box >>>> Xbox running linux >>>> netgear 8port router >>>> cat5 cable distributed about the entire house.

I run 7 different computers from this network and I have the advantage (via various hubs) of a network connection in everyroom in the house. This is great for your laptops.

I guess my recomendation for you would be as follows:

NTL set top box >>>> cable router with NAT & DHCP >>>> route your cat5 cable anywhere in the house from the router. Forget all the mac addresses etc, this is all done via NTL's scripts. The will pick up your routers mac address.

If you want some indepth information and help in setting up a secure network, you can email me on gedi@ntlworld.com