Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help.....Can't get online

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 10:47 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm hoping this might be a simple settings problem, which us It illiterates don't know.

Friends PC running XP Home, have loaded AOL freebie onto it, can connect to AOL but nothing else. IE won't find any web pages, and i've tried loads, searching the net from AOL doesn't work either, but it definitely connects because i've been able to send a test e-mail to my home PC. (At home now and checked)

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, i have very limited knowledge, but tried everthing i could think of. My friend had tried to install Freeserve but the IE link kept coming up unobtainable, much as they all do with AOL.

TIA

Adam

Old 15 January 2003, 10:53 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Knew it would come in handy sooner or later.......
Old 16 January 2003, 11:15 PM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Yeah they're quality aren't they. Thing is IE wasn't working with Freeserve beforehand, modem is silent, appeared to be ok on test but wouldn't connect to allow browsing so I installed AOL to check that something would work, and it does in so far as all the AOL pages work, e-mail etc. However i can't browse the web from the AOL page, and IE (V6)throws up page not available no matter what website I choose. I was kinda hoping there was a settings problem somewhere, the phone line has been checked, and so has the PC hardware.
Anyone able to help.
Old 16 January 2003, 11:31 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

sorry mancamefirst i cant help but lmfao @ that pic
Old 16 January 2003, 11:41 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the problems you had before AOhell, but you could try a System Restore to roll-back to a previous state of settings Start \ Programs \ Accessories \ System Tools \ System Restore - hopefully you'll have a restore point from beforehand.