Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

D-Link DI-604 Broadband router problems

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 11:52 AM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe someone can help me here, I purchased the above D-Link router a few months ago, and ever since installing my internet speeds have been terrible, I have upgraded to the latest firmware, and reset to defaults (no rules) but without any noticeable increase in speed.

Reading a few US forums they are having similar problems, but their firmware is different to the UK firmware, and the US support seems better than the UK's, but they won't support Euro spec items.

I have tried (in vane) to contact D-Link UK, funnily enough there on-line support form is no longer available, and when I have called their support line (several times) you end up in a queue which never seems to go down, i.e. 14 people in the queue. I have left a voicemail, but doubt I'll get a response anytime soon.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get :-

1. In contact with D-Link
2. Fix the problem
Old 14 January 2003, 01:43 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

I have multiple contacts within D-Link. Several of them are 3rd Level techie guys.

Can you let me know the followings

If you by-pass the router completely and plug the modem directly into the computer. Does that eliminate the problem.

Whats your response times like? What results do you get from http://www.dslreports.com/tools

What connection speed are the computers talking to with the router. 100Mbits Full Duplex?

[Edited by roadrunner - 1/14/2003 1:45:24 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 04:09 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

If I remove the router, and unplug (reset) the set top box/modem (Blueyonder, runs through TV reciever), and connect directly to one PC the speed is what I would expect.

As soon as the router is back in the loop everything slows down, if I do a speed test without the router I get something like 550K/sec, and with the router in I get something like 20K/Sec tops !!!!

D/loads time out (usually), and the only thing I can do without getting to many problems are playing CS on line, but I guess most of that is run locally.

I have a win2000 server which has a static IP address on the lan side (192.168.0.100), and the other PC's get their IP address from the router via DHCP, I have configured the router to assign addresses between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99) and that seems to work fine.
Old 14 January 2003, 08:41 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Will check will D-Link tomorrow
Old 14 January 2003, 09:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have a DI614 wireless router - 582k up 130k down. Thats fully firewalled etc etc.

Sounds like something defo wrong with the hardware or config.
Old 15 January 2003, 09:22 AM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

I ran the tests as suggested by roadrunner last night, and they failed miserably, unable to load or such like, I guess it timed out. I tried several times and always the same.

But this morning I did manage to get through to D-Link support, and they have confirmed there are some problems with my router, and have been looking into it for some time, although he did say it only seemed to be NTL customers that have reported the problem, on saying that maybe I'm the only Blueyonder user with that particular router.

Anyway, he took all my details, gave me a call reference, and said he would drop me a mail, with some tests etc that I can run, to see if that can either fix or identify the problem. So hopefully that will be there when I get home tonight.

He also said that there should be a firmware update out soon to rectify the problem, how soon is unknown, sooner rather than later, otherwise I'll be sending it back.

Roadrunner, don't s'pose you could rattle a few cages at D-Link and see how close, or what they're planning to do to sort this out could you, so I can weigh up whether or not to hold out for a fix, or send it back.
Old 15 January 2003, 09:31 AM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

I will see if I can get a beta firmware for you
Old 15 January 2003, 11:06 AM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate
Old 17 January 2003, 01:53 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Dlink Twain is currently looking into a firmware fix. However Dlink UK say they have only had a small number of cases with this issue on the DI-604. We have sold numerous DI-604 and haven't had any back (touch wood) therefore you should consider sending your DI-604 back and getting it replaced under warranty.
Old 17 January 2003, 02:37 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner, Thanks for looking into that for me, in fact I am in the process of doing just that, I have spoken (eventually) to D-Link Support, and they asked me to run a few checks, in the meantime I contacted the suppliers and explained my predicament, and explained I'd be more than happy to send my 604 back and upgrade to an 804 to get round the problem, they then went back to D-Link, who then said that only a few appear to be having problems, and a replacement is now on it's way touch wood, I'll be surfing at a greater rate come the weekend