Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Back Door/Sub Trojan Horse

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 01:49 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Almost everytime I log into the Internet - my firewall catches this trying to access my PC.

I use dynamic IP addressing .

Can anyone tell me any more about it?

Trout
Old 11 January 2003, 09:14 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It's used for remotely accessing (and gaining control of) systems. The 'virus' is installed on the target system ('server') via a trojan (an infected file) sent to the target system via email, for example. Popular trojans are things claiming to be screensavers, game demos or program/antivirus patches. Once that infected file is run, the server side of the tool is installed on the target system. A remote client system (the hacker/cracker) connects to the infected system/server and, well, whatever. Read more about how to treat it on the Symantec website.

Is the firewall notification of in inbound or an outbound communication attempt? Check you have up-to-date antivirus protection in any case.
- If the connection is in-bound then just ensure your system is clean by doing a full AV sweep. Don't worry too much as it's probably a client doing a sweep of IP addresses looking for infected systems to respond.
- If the connection is outbound then it's the server connecting back to a client/controlling system. Follow the removal instructions on the above link.
Old 12 January 2003, 04:07 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.

It is inbound - and the firewall catches it and blocks it everytime.

I have an up to date Norton Anti-Virus set and run it regularly - as far as it can tell i am clean.

Just wanted to check that the number of attacks was normal. Didn't have firewall on my old Win 2000 system - but never seemed to have any problems.

Trout
Old 12 January 2003, 06:02 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've nothing to worry about. For the first few weeks after I first installed a firewall I was shocked at how many connection attempts were recorded. Now I rarely look.