Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Proxy on home network

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 10:41 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I'm at work I have a proxy server name port number to connect my laptop to the www.

When at home with the laptop connected through my linksys router to TW broadband, I need to remove these.

Anyone know of a software based proxy server I could run with the same name and port number that worked in some sort of transparent pass through mode to prevent me having to remember to turn off proxy server when at home, and back on in the office [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

TIA,

Alex
Old 06 January 2003, 11:26 AM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

don't think so. What about using 2 different browsers, one configured for work and one for home? (IE and netscape?, netscape and mozilla?)
Old 06 January 2003, 11:47 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thought of that, or two different logons, or other such workarounds, but I really want a transparent solution.

Also, some (lots) of sites really work best with I.E.

e.g. my i.e stores in cookies all my site credentials so sites recognise me, Scoobynet etc. and I don't want to duplicate them all.

Any other ideas for software x-parent proxies chaps?
Old 01 June 2003, 12:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alex,

I don't think that is possible.

IE only supports one proxy address and port number. If this is set to your works proxy's hostname, dns name or even IP address you probably won't be able to use that again for a home-based proxy server.

Unless.....

...... your work isn't a large corporation and they use one of the private IP addresses i.e. 10.0.0.x, 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.x

Here at work our proxy uses 192.168.0.1 and I've configured my Linux proxy at home to use the same IP address and port#. That way it's transparent (to the user anyway).

An IP address or hostname is OK as long as the IP is private. I wouldn't use a DNS name (www. whatever) as this maybe registered and would give you lookup problems from home.

Does that make sense?

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 1/6/2003 12:08:50 PM]