Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AMD or Pentuim

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2003, 01:46 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats better in your opinion? oh, and Why?
Old 04 January 2003, 01:54 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Wink

AMD = cost i am poor.
Intel = if i can afford it.
Old 04 January 2003, 04:09 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

IF your after a pc im selling Motherboard, ram, cpu , Geforce 2 Ti, 300w PSU+ Zalman Heat sink
Old 04 January 2003, 04:35 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

AMD...thats what I use. I have 3 pc's one with P111 and one with AMB 1900 Athalon XP and the other AMD Athalon 2600 XP.

I thought the 1900 was quick till I built myself one with the 2600 AMD using an Abit AT7 Max2 mb that has raid etc. Blooming fast and more cost effective than Intel P4 esp the latest Intel P4 3.06.

IMHO go for AMD
Old 04 January 2003, 06:28 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

There not much in it really... both have their ups & downs.

AMD's can give you a lot of processing power for your money.

Intel's generally give a bit more power, sometimes for a lot more money.

If you want to buy to a budget, get an AMD, although note that the athlon processor is coming to the end of it's line, with the 64 bit hammer chips due out this year. Therefore in the (mid-term) future you will only be able to upgrade an athlon machine so far and for so long.

At the moment it looks like the Intel P4 processor line is going to run for a while, making it more likely that you will be able to upgrade just the chip without needing a new motherboard too.

Also, it can make a difference what you want the computer for. I'd suggest having a look at somewhere like Tom's hardware Guide's processor section...

www.tomshardware.com/cpu

Tom does some very comprehensive testing of processors with different games and applications.

One other thing i'd add is if you are after a gaming machine, don't spend up on the processor and skimp on the graphics card.

Personally, i've used both AMD and Intel CPU's. I'm running a P4 at the moment, but had 2 athlons prior to this. Over the years i've found generally that the AMD processors are cheaper and the Intel processors to be more stable, though others of course may have different experiences.

Which ever you choose, buy a good heatsink for it.

HTH.

John.