Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AutoCAD help

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 07:15 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

pslewis-- sweet you're a goodman. I dont know any HR that works quickly. dont know if this a good idea or not but in the pass i dont send my CV to HR i like to send it to the Designers. i like to think we as Designers have a special friendship

Thanx Pete

[Edited by Ray_li - 12/5/2002 7:34:37 PM]
Old 04 December 2002, 12:47 PM
Tokey
Scooby Newbie

I’m taking it upon myself to learn AutoCAD, I've managed to blag a job in the techy drawing dept and haven't even seen the program used since school.
Does anyone have any experience with any CAD programs? If so what’s a good program to learn on, bare in mind I start this job in the New Year, got to sort of know the basics by then.
Any help appreciated
Old 04 December 2002, 01:43 PM
mitch779
Scooby Regular

Tokey,
Nothing like jumping in at the deep end. I would recommend you learn Autocad!!! any time wasted messing around on other packages will help to make you look like a fool?

Cad packages are very large and very complicated, more and more the rely on GUI for input as well as historic key-ins!
I would suggest that you find out what version you are likely to use - AutoCad R14, AutoCad 2000, AutoCad 2002, AutoCad LT ? - do they use any add on package like mechanical or architectural desktop?
If you want a basic start point learn AutoCad LT, but given the short amount of time you should start to become familiar with the version you will be using?
By the way I would expect it to take in the region of 8 weeks to be come familiar with the program and thats not even introducing the fact that you will have to produce accurate documentation!!

good luck,if you have any questions then please feel free to ask

Mitch
Old 04 December 2002, 06:44 PM
Potz
Scooby Newbie

First off, Good luck!!

Because any decent CAD manager is going to spot you have only been using CAD for a short time from a mile off.

I would agree with Mitch find out what version they are using, as the newer versions are far easier to learn, also try to find out if they have any Drawing standards or CAD standards set up.

There are a lot of CAD resources on the web most have tutorials and forums that should be of help. (Some of the forums tend to be a bit stroppy if you are asking what they consider to be a basic question)

http://www.cadtutor.net/ is pretty good.

I mooch about in here at some point most days so if you get stuck, shout.

Ps. what industry are you in?

Potz
Old 04 December 2002, 07:33 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

Red face

OH OH

I ve been using AutoCAD on a Daily basis for ten years still find new stuff ..................

Tal - Mail me with any specific questions if ya like
Old 04 December 2002, 08:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Yep, I am a Design Office Manager and using Autocad 2002 at the moment, together with Unigraphics Solid Modelling, Mentor Graphics for PCB Design, PCAD-2000 also for PCB Design, Personal Designer (the old Computervision system) - Have access to Aries Solid Modelling Too!!

Been earning a living on CAD packages for 22 years now - you can pass yourself off as a good operator after a 1 week course - then, its all about experience!!

Be the best and you can earn £60k quite easily ;-)

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 12:03 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pslewis

i dont suppose you have seen my CV floating around your office have you?
Still not had reply from HR. if you got a few mins at work chat the HR up for me please

Ray

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2002, 10:32 AM
Tokey
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys thanks for the replies... Made me sit back and think about what I’m doing for a few mins.
The Guy knows I’m a newbie to all the CAD business, I've told him I USED to know the very basics but haven't tried in years.
I've got hold of AutoCAD 2000 and Lt. Hopefully I’m going to find one of those "AutoCad for Complete Retards" e-books, then have a quick crash course on how to make a 3d square. I’m hoping this will qualify as "basics".
Old 05 December 2002, 03:01 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Find out what you're going to be expected to produce then you know not to waste time learning pointless stuff.

I've used CAD packages for the last 7 years. Started off in ACAD r10 (the dos one!!) and hated it. Used it for a year then steadily worked my way through all the major packages. Now I'm a house designer and back using ACAD 2000i. I more or less knew the basics but where as everyone else uses the menu buttons to call up commands I type them in (cause that's all you could do with the dos version ). Despite my lack of using it for years I picked it up pretty quickly and I'm now regarded as the ACAD guru in our office. But like someone else said earlier, I'm still finding new things with it, oh and I still hate it
Old 05 December 2002, 06:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ray - the wheels move slowly here in HR - I have had to chase them up on MY behalf AND they want to keep me happy!! So, hold on and hope my friend!!

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 10:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Wink

You brown nosed sniveler

Pete
Old 06 December 2002, 06:50 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Talking

:

Hay!!! you name it i'll do it right now, im that desperate for a job. You want to try me?
i'll start by washing your car

Ray