Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Digital Video Camera to CD-R

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2002, 09:53 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure it can be done, but how do I go about transferring from Digital Video tape to a CD, which format do I need to convert it to, and how do I convert it?

Old 21 November 2002, 10:14 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

assuming you are pc based.

ulead dvd workshop software - if you are beginning - this is all you will need apart from a firewire card - does it all from capture, through editing clips to writing cd-rs in dvd format - top stuff.
www.ulead.com

for firewire card try ads pyro cards - www.adstech.com

best tips I can give are that:
you will need loads of patience - rendering takes time.
a fast pc helps - then you can use the ulead smart codec that encodes to mpeg in realtime

if rendering from dv (avi) format to mpeg - a twin disk (separate ide channels) setup is much quicker.

to get to grips with mini-dvd formats - got to vcdhelp.com

once you are ready for some better editing software try videostudio again from ulead.

if you are one of those funny people who insits on an apple mac - then get one with integrated firewire and cd burner and just use final cut pro.

cheers,

Paul W

[Edited by pwebb - 11/21/2002 10:15:38 PM]
Old 22 November 2002, 01:19 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

.............or if you don't have DVD writer, burn it to SVCD instead. Higher quality than VCD and will play in most DVD players.

Ulead can do this for you too, as well as loads of others you can get free from the internet.

Go to www.vcdhelp.com for loads of info on doing all things video and PC related

Geezer
Old 22 November 2002, 11:40 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Cheers peeps, looks like I've got a busy weekend ahead of me
Old 23 November 2002, 12:46 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry Fig to but in on your topic, but this is something I've been trying to figure out for a while myself, hope someone can enlighten me a bit further.

I have digital video camera, firewire card, editing software (Presto videoworks 4.5, came with camera) and a CD-rewriter. What I want to know is, is it possible to go straight from DV tape to CD, ie without saving to my hard drive, as it's only 10 Gb and therefore can't take much video data.

If the answer as I suspect is no and this can't be done I'll get a second HD, and as I don't keep up with PC developments etc can anyone recomend a suitable sized HD, 40, 60, 80, etc obviously the bigger the better but realistically what would I need to comfortably copy say 60mins of DV to CD.

Thanks in advance.

Steve