Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

for those who can't get ADSL or cable broadband..

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2002, 11:08 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you mind paying £400 install costs and £60 per month for a very low latency wireless broadband service giving 512kbit download and 256kbit upload.. comments ??

Old 11 November 2002, 11:09 AM
ChrisB

<Sceptical>
Tell me more...

Suitable for business use?
Old 11 November 2002, 11:12 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

price is too high

half it and you will have a result
Old 11 November 2002, 11:17 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

£60/month is high for consumer. What would the contention ratio be ?

I would be very tempted though for a low latency 512k service. £30 would make it a no-brainer, £40 (or about what thieving Sky charge) would be Ok. after all its *only* the same as a tank of Optimax

Deano
Old 11 November 2002, 11:25 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's a service aimed at business users where the contention ratio and Quality of service kicks ADSL. I am looking at it for me as I can't get ADSL due to been wired to an exchange miles away.

A friend of mine runs a hosting company and we have been discussing alternatives to ADSL.

This is not a contended sevice 512kbit/256kbit to "ISP" - then bandwidth out to internet depens on the ISP connectivity and amount of users using service..
Old 11 November 2002, 11:34 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

tempting but certainly too expensive to justify.....

£40 maybe

£30 yes.

Old 11 November 2002, 11:38 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

thanks for the feedback so far, we are hoping to get the kit on eval to see how good it is.

Going back to contention ratio on ADSL - I've heard that performance for many people has dropped amazingly as more people have been added to ADSL at the local exchange level - is this gernerally true ?
Old 11 November 2002, 02:47 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with all the above.

I'd be happy at £30 or so a month. High download speeds are more important to me than fast upload.

Cheers
Kav
Old 11 November 2002, 02:51 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Agreed £30-35 max monthly. Why are the install costs so high? Satellite is cheaper to install than that now Ideally wireless costs sbe inbetween cable/adsl n sat install prices imo. But would be very interested as I wont be able to get adsl/cable in my area at all.
Old 11 November 2002, 02:58 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

If the wireless kit is based on the standard outdoor 802.11b then you will face connectivity problems in the near future! I haven't looked into being a WISP but the first place of contact would be the RA.

NTL are trailing wireless out in London. Monthly price will be £20-30 approx.

Old 11 November 2002, 03:05 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Scooby - I take it you would offer an sync connection as well as an async? How about a wireless and ISDN backup solution for the business clients?
Old 11 November 2002, 03:14 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's fully duplexed connection is all I know, no problem having ISDN backup but seen as this has a carrier class SLA (99.99% uptime) it's probably more reliable than ADSL and ISDN.
Old 11 November 2002, 03:32 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

SLA of 99.99% uptime is very impressive! A lot of my business clients always ask about alternative backup solutions. Some even ask about modem backup!

If the expensive isn't to great then wireless broadband will take off big time! Its also an ideal backup/load balancing solution for customers who already have xDSL, cable connections.

I have loads of customers who would snap up wireless broadband straight away. I am in talks with NTL about their wireless offerings. Reckon my website could easily be able to drum up business for a wireless node to be installed in multiple areas.
Old 11 November 2002, 03:42 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I will generously permit any company wanting to trial wireless access in a rural area to use my house for their base station in exchange for a free connection..or 2

Deano
Old 11 November 2002, 04:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Indeed, the wireless cells can be linked together so you could cover an entire city quite cheaply. And those people who act as a relay are subsidised. Only thing required is a 3m aerial (no planning permit req'd)
Old 12 November 2002, 01:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

from the mouth of the man who is gonna be doing wireless for Milton Keynes (hopefully)

Yes I can offer ISDN backup, I can allocate 128k channels in multiples should they wish.

Yes suitable for business, service features, QOS, CDR, Burst capable, upto 3M bit in BOTH directions, also failover routing through other cells in the event of weather conditions.

IP, I will and can offer blocks of 8 IP addresses with each business connection, this make it attractive compared to ADSL as IP costs extra.

I agree with the install costs being high, this would drop over time as CPE equipment becomes less expensive each SU/R is 400 quid, then the man in a van to erect the aerial on your gaff is gonna be 60 nicka, all this could be swallowed by service provider by using minimum term contract of 12 months + etc..

It is tricky to say whether this product should or could be aimed at the consumer, as it is capable of 3Mbit in each direction it is more suitable to businesses who want to grow over time. All the consumer really cares about is cost not service and is happy for his ADSL to be down for a week if it goes wrong. And doesnt mind spending hours on the phone to the likes of BT and blue yonder.

Contention ratio, initally 20 to 1 at 60 pound a month.

If 60 pounds is too high then hey 30 pounds can be done at a 50 to 1 contention ratio. Personally the montly can be set at whatever really just by upping/downing bandwidth/contention ratio. Its all really a game here offsetting price against quality of service.

Another option how about off site disaster recovery, ie 3M bit overnight wireless connection, performing off site backups to D/R site.

Satellite broadband forget it, unusable, latency of 400ms +, unless all you want to do is move large files, surfing a web page feels like a 9600 modem, due to the number of connections to the average web page all at 300/400 ms"

Old 12 November 2002, 03:36 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Ooooo.....I am from milton keynes

I would sign up to the service, I take it the cell would be based at CMK
Old 12 November 2002, 04:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

When I first got NTL cable over 2 1/2 years ago it was £39.99 per month so I dont think its that bad. However a £400 install fee is pretty darn hefty as NTL was free.
Old 12 November 2002, 04:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Road Runner - where in MK are you based (roughly) and can you get ADSL where you are ??

Indeed install price is a bit of a killer
Old 12 November 2002, 04:29 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Bradwell Common - Currently within distance of my enabled exchange but I have too much noise on the line [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12 November 2002, 05:02 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Ok cool - I'll let you know if anything can be sorted
Old 12 November 2002, 06:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I would pay £30 for 512, and £45 for 1 meg.

And I'm rural, so I have no other choice except ISDN.

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 November 2002, 06:38 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll be a beta tester

Let me know, defo interested. Would allow me to test out various equipment so I could sell them on my site
Old 12 November 2002, 07:25 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

You mean you dont test them all anyway ?

Admit it you just want more p0rn ......
Old 12 November 2002, 08:01 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oi Dsmith ...........shut it

What's wrong with p0rn, heard you have a nice selection of naked ladies sprawled over network design diagrams

What ever rocks your boat Mr Dsmith
Old 13 November 2002, 12:35 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Was at a meeting last night where we were talking about ADSL and availability. Live and work in MK and have ADSL at work. Can also get it at home but not yet taken the leap. Lots of the people I know who have lots of money live in the sticks and the chances of ADSL are practically zero, but they would pay good money to be able to cruise the internet with out any problems. Food for more thought/discussions.....?
Old 13 November 2002, 01:13 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

If villages are 5km apart we can cell link (probably using commercial premises such as Post Offices) - if the poxy government regulators would allow us to turn up the power to USA standards we could triple the range.

We are just looking at Milton Keynes at moment but hopefully others will catch on to this technology soon
Old 13 November 2002, 07:28 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

IP, I will and can offer blocks of 8 IP addresses with each business connection, this make it attractive compared to ADSL as IP costs extra
Who is selling IP then?
<gets ready to grass them up to RIPE>

We give as many IP addresses to businesses as they can justify - should not be giving people 8 IP addresses if they can get away with one on a router running NAT

Offers like this seem to come and go but I wish you luck all the same. Biggest problem with getting projects like this off the ground is that no-one wants to pay what you need to charge to break even thus you end up selling at a loss to get going and before you know it *BANG* the company is no more

can you post up your URL as I would put something like this to my board if is looks good as our customer base is 100% business and we have plenty screaming about dial-up costs who can't get BT's flavour of DSL.

Jon
Old 13 November 2002, 08:33 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Hi Rusty

If you don't mind, what does your company do? We are currently focusing on the SME market for providing equipment solutions for broadband connectivity - wireless, ISDN, xdsl, cable etc

Regards
Giles

Quick Reply: for those who can't get ADSL or cable broadband..