Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Has anyone tried one of these Psion Wavefinder DAB radio jobby's?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2002, 08:21 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Working away at the PC or sometimes browsing the web, I get bored listening to the same old CDs and downloaded MP3s so I wondered what this whole digital radio experience was like.

Psion have got a funky looking aerial that plugs direct into a USB port. Anyone got one? If so, any good?

Cheers
Kav
Old 10 November 2002, 09:32 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Had one late last year and found it to be just awful.

The gear looked good and it did seem to work for a while. However, it would lock up, for no apparant reason and required rebooting the machine every time. Also, the software is written in Java, looked poor and always seemed to have some problems.

When it did work, the sound quality was very good and I guess there will be more channels available now.

I ended up taking mine back for a refund. Hope you have better luck when you try it.

Me ? I bought a USB FM widget that works so much better, but of course I don't get the digital channels.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 November 2002, 08:18 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mate.
Old 11 November 2002, 04:44 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've got DAB in my car and I use it all the time. Sound quality isn't as good as FM but much more programming available. Coverage can be patchy.

Heard mixed things about the wavefinder - believe there is better third party software. There's also a PCI card available now too
Old 11 November 2002, 05:39 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Question

I have had DAB in the scoob for 3 years now and it is awesome! Much better sound than FM? IS yours working ok!?!?
Mossman
Old 19 November 2002, 07:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I bought one from PC World umpteen months ago when they were selling them at GBP99 instead of the RRP of GBP299. Sadly a few weeks later you could get 'em for GBP50

As a gadget it is great - well made and packaged, although the standard software is a bit naff (you can download newer and better versions).

My PII CPU at 450MHz struggles to mix radio and heavy thinking at the same time (sound gets garbled), but so long as you have a decent set of speakers - things should usually be fine.

Compared with full blown DAB radios, the WaveFinder is a good introduction to the possible future of the tranny. If you accept the limitations that your PC may give, then it is a nice bit of kit.

mb