Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to stop XP auto-installing hardware

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 10:54 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have removed my soundcard drivers as there is a problem with them, but i want to reboot and manually reinstall them, not let XP install them from where it finds then on the HDD. I have tried to find the file on the C drive that it is taking the driver from but cant.

Is there a way i can stop XP scanning for new hardware when it boots so i can install the drivers myself manually ?

Dave
Old 07 November 2002, 11:31 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

goto device manager, then the properties of the device. goto driver and click on update driver and point to your new driver files.
Old 08 November 2002, 07:55 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Problem is its a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card and on the soundblaster.com website i can only find a 24mb executable with the drivers in, not the drivers themselves so i cant point the "Update Drver" to the new drivers.

How do i delete the files that will be in the driver list so i can reinstall the drivers cleanly ?
Old 08 November 2002, 02:21 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Druddle,

If I remember, XP picks up known drivers from the system/inf folder (might be slightly different but I'm at work using a W95 machine at the moment ). To stop XP finding and auto-installing the drivers, have a look in this folder fo something that looks like it could come from Creative or SoundBlaster. The '.inf' files are simple text files, so open it up to make sure it is for what you want, then delete it (or better still, move it to somewhere else incase it all goes t!ts-up ).

Somebody else will probably be along to disprove my theory, but as I say I don't have access to an XP box to confirm this...

Daniel