Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

executing vb program remotely....

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2002, 09:38 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello!

I have written a little application with vb, on a pc running Win XP and it works fine. It just grabs some data from an .mdb using dao3.6, which in turn gets it's data from an oracle db via an obdc (i wasnt allowed to go straight to the oracle). It then jumbles the data about and prints it for use elsewhere.

However, my manager has now decided that he wants this application to reside on a win 95 machine and print to a local printer. I'm having problems getting the application to work on on win 95. I've tried manually registering the required .dlls and i've tried the Application Deployment Wizard....I'm slowly getting there but not fast enough for my manager ...but thats another thread...Error 3633 lol.

So here's my plan as I'm under pressure to produce - while I iron out the problems, I would like, if possible, to let the win 95 machine send an input (just a date ie 08112002) to the application that resides and runs ok on my pc, then the app executes on *my* pc, and sends the print job to the printer attached to the win 95 pc. I am not allowed to input the date myself . Workplace politics.

Easy bits - I can create a share on my XP pc so the wn 95 pc has the access rights to the exe. The win 95 pc's printer is shared.

Not so easy (to me) - How could I send a date from the 95 pc to my XP machine and get the app to execute my own pc? Obviously the pc's are networked, both on a domain.

I was thinking along the lines of a .bat file or something. I dont want to use anything like VNC where the other user takes over my desktop....I just want them to able to execute the program 'quietly' on my pc then get the result on their printer...

...please bear in mind I'm a bit of a newbie but I'd really appreciate any hints or tips, and it'll de-stress me no end !

Cheers....
Old 06 November 2002, 10:46 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

Mmm. Tricky. Many ways to skin this cat.
The first thing I would look at is a remote desktop solution. Look here.
It isn't VNC with the remote user taking over your desktop, but running a remote session on your XP box. Nail down their permissions, and I think that should give you the quickest solution.
If that doesn't appeal, you should get your XP software working on 95. Post that other thread (or add details here). It is probably going to be the second quickest solution (and definately the neatest).
Third, you will could write a client / server application. The XP will serve the connection from the Win95 computer (probably using sockets) to fulfill the requests. This is gonna take some time.

BTW - just allowing the 95 machine access to the XP executable in the hope of running it remotely isn't going to magically make the 95 machine run the software if it doesn't run locally. Even if it did it wouldn't be running on the XP machine.

I hope that isn't an off base answer, and helps some.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:45 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

CC,
I've tried manually registering the required .dlls
Surely your best bet is to try and get the app running on Win95 machine. Are these external DLLs that you have created as part of the app or are they for additional controls? My guess is its probably to do with versioning of COMCTL32.DLL which changes across OSes and M$ in their infinite wisdom produce a dev. tool which has some many external file dependancies it's not true!

Anyway you cant register them using regsvr32? so do you get an error message or they register and the app doesnt work, what?

Gary
Old 07 November 2002, 01:22 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Error 3633 - try downloading Jet 4.0 SP3 and installing that on the target machine, then do NOT include the DAO files with your P&D Script, then try installing your app.....

Info Here

hth
Old 07 November 2002, 03:01 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

sorry for not replying earlier guys, not being ignorant.

i will fully explain all of the issues i have but at the mo' i'm in work.

Mr. Deference, totally agree, fixing the issue is the best way.

Quick explanation - i had Error 429 ActiveX cannot blah blah...so i registered dao3.6 and that error went.

Then I had error 3633 which after browsing the internet was solved by registering msjet40.dll.

At this moment, i am stepping through the program on a win95 pc and all seems ok up to now (kiss of death ).

Will carry on and see what happens, then i'll go through what issues i have or if it's sorted....

Many Thanks...