Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home Hightway - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 07:46 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out for the contract being tied to the property as well as the individual. When I last moved house, I had to pay the outstanding line rental on the HH contract. I offered to pay for a new installation at the new property and carry the contract term over and BT wouldn't have it so I terminated every contract I had with them (3 x analogue lines, [now] broadband and my moby), say £2k/yr revenue and sent a strop mail to Ben Verweyhan(sp). His response reinforced their **** off position.
Old 25 October 2002, 09:46 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I've previously had home highway installed. I've now got Business highway as work is now paying and I an't get ADSL. Considering the price, IMHO ISDN is not really worth the money. Don't forget that even though you may get £10 or £15 worth of calls free in your shocking monthly bill, if you use the net a lot, or during office hours, this won't last long.

Also if you pay even more on top to get free dial-up from an ISP then none of the companies offer free access at 128k - it's always just 64k.

The service is faster than a modem. You get a solid speed rather than the somewhat variable speed of a modem. My ISDN on both home and business highway runs at a steady 7.0-7.2 k/second.

Bottom line - if I was paying my line would have been cancelled long ago and I'd be happy with a modem.

Hope this helps
Joolz

PS. Reason I can't get ADSL is I am too far away from the exchange. But my next dooor neighbours (ON BOTH SIDES) have it installed. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 October 2002, 10:19 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I'm in the sticks so ADSL is no-go.

I have HH and certainly wouldn't go back to a modem. Its not just the speed increase. Guaranteed 64K vs 33 to about 48K from the Internet, 64K vs 28K to the internet but the "latency" - how long information takes to go back and forth - is lower. For some things that makes it feel much faster than just the bandwidth would suggest.

Also the dial-up time is a 1 or 2 seconds against 20 ro 30 for a modem to train to its best speed.

I have home netwrok with a router doing dial-on-demand and in most respects its as good as having an "always-on" connection. You dont notice the delay in logging on. Certainly get away from the feeling you get with a modem that you have to make a conscious decision to dial-up and the later to disconnect.

It also makes working from home much better. Corporate E-Mail is much easier over ISDN than a modem. I pay for mine and am more than happy with the benefits over a a modem.

Works out about £50/Qtr more than a single standard line for me. I have an anytime ISP account, but would need that regardless of whether its modem or ISDN so doesn't really come into it.

Deano

Old 26 October 2002, 10:26 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

jbryant

Seems to me a little networking is in order. Why not suggest that you pay for the ADSL router and cabling from one of the neighbour's ASDL connections?
Old 26 October 2002, 03:44 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

XRS,

We've already looked into it. Wireless is a no-go using current standards (not eaxctly cheap either) and the distance involved from PC to PC would exceed the CAT5 limit. I'd be happy to have a cable running from house to house but don't want repeaters or suchlike in the back gardens

Joolz.
Old 26 October 2002, 03:56 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Big gardens!!

Old 26 October 2002, 10:13 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
House to house is more than 135m ????

You could always put fibre in !

Jeff
Old 28 October 2002, 05:12 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

It's actually my next-door-neighbour + 1, and I'd have to go down to the end of my garden, and along the back of next door (not friends) before dropping into my friend's garden and all the way back to his house.

Fibre just seems like an awful lot of hassle. I'm sure I'll get around to it one day. Why they can't just install the damn thing for me is anyone's guess.

Joolz