Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Parents, eh?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 03:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Deep joy, my Dad, bless 'im, managed to spam the Bugbear virus to all and sundry.

I am now having to pick up the pieces and explain to a computer illiterate lot that this is a Bad Thing.

Thankfully, due to the complexity of mail, he only has 8 people in his contacts so the clean-up ain't too grand. Although if those 8 know 8 other people, and in turn the.... Oh hang on, this is why these virus writers do this, isn't it?

String 'em up, say I! By the painful bits!

Nick.
Old 16 October 2002, 07:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why not set him up with email through a decent provider, perhaps giving him an account on your domain? E.g., all my mail goes via my domain host's servers (yep, good ol' Titan) which sweep for viruses on incoming and outgoing mail. It's fantastic, 'cos it means that not only can I not receive a virus by email, but even if I somehow contract one of the little buggers, I'm not able to forward it on to anyone else.

(obviously this relies on Titan's virus-checking to be up-to-date, but it's done the job so far )