Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 03:26 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I am reasonably computer literate and can solve most problems, however I know jack about networks.

I need to format and reinstall the computer at work as the IT dept won't do it!! Its running win 95 and crashes literally every 5 minutes. Its used by about 15-20 people so there is stuff stored all over the hard disk. My problem is setting up the network after the reinstall. What do I need to back up and what settings do I need to remember? Can I access all the info from this pc or do I need network settings from IT. (Our IT dept says it is up to us to maintain the pc and even denies that it exists on their network, strange that we can get internet access through their network then ).
We are planning on upgrading to win XP.
Old 14 October 2002, 03:42 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If it's 'constanly' crashing, maybe it's a hardware error!

Normally caused by faulty memory, processors, cooling fans or dodgy motherboards!

It's normally worth trying to find the fault before formatting the drive and finding there is still a problem even though you have a newer operating system!
Old 14 October 2002, 03:45 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't have a W95 PC in front of me, but normally only need to take the details from the 'Network Settings'. Stuff like IP Address etc. Are you going to install XP home or Professional? Do you have an NT domain there?

As a side issue :

reasonably computer literate
The bane of every IT manager!!
Old 14 October 2002, 04:41 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

make sure you get the driver for your network card! goto control panel/network and write down all info, for example, is it client for microsoft or netware, or domain name, computer name, etc. what protocol is it using (TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX) and has it got fixed IP or use DHCP?