Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DNS & Subdomains

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2002, 08:58 PM
netclectic2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Howdy folks, can anybody enlighten me as to whether an update to a subdomain will be subject to the same delay as a normal domain.

Basically, i have a domain registered (domain.com), which was registered some time ago so dns is no problem. I want to add a subdomain to it (sub.domain.com), will their be a delay before the rest of the world know about my subdomain or will they it just resolve the first domain (domain.com) and expect the server where that's hosted to do the rest?

So, i suppose what i am asking is are subdomains cached the same way as normal domains?
Old 10 October 2002, 09:23 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

it depends who hosts your name server and how often it propogates to other servers. For example, when i update my subdomains, Blueyonder's dns's pick it up within about 15mins, but this will vary greatly from isp to isp. You will also have longer delays if your dns is hosted at an external company and you have to wait for them to actually put the update on.

Andy
Old 10 October 2002, 09:38 PM
netclectic2
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply. It did indeed only take about 15 mins. I really needed a guy in the states to be able to see it asap. and was a tad worried when it didn't happen instantly.