Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS Outlook - Scoobynet versus Tech Support

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2002, 01:15 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's important, I can solve this for you, if you put it onto an ftp server & give me details etc

shunty

[Edited by shunty - 10/3/2002 1:19:38 PM]
Old 03 October 2002, 10:51 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Question

The race is on chaps, I've raised the below with our Tech support bt don't hold out much hope - anyone here encountered this problem and hold the answer ? (it's Outlook 2000)

I've created a personal folder that I'd like to archive to CD which can then be accessed by anyone from the CD (after copying to desktop)
I've saved the PST to my c: directory and outlook can access ok from here. I've copied it to CD, then copied it back to my desktop, removed the 'read only' tick but outlook will not access the PST file - message is along the lines - properties for this information service must be defined - access denied. I've been through the Desktop Education in Dyce and they have the same problem. Is there anyone with a detailed knowledge of archiving PST files to CD ?

Thanks

Kevin.
Old 03 October 2002, 10:58 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Are you sure that you have access to the area where you're storing the pst file on your hard drive??? ir Are you running NTFS?
I've done similar things in the past with pst files and not had a problem.I assume that you've added a pst folder service to Outlook which points to the correct file path?

Nick
Old 03 October 2002, 11:07 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

you cannot put pst files on CD, Outlook insists on having write access.

Been there, tried that

Greg
Old 03 October 2002, 11:07 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Nick,

How do I know if I'm running NTFS ?
I'm pretty sure the access rights aren't an issue but I'll check, I'll move the PST from my C: directory to the desktop and try again and yes I am adding the PST through Outlook using the correct file path.

Thanks
Old 03 October 2002, 11:15 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

you cannot put pst files on CD, Outlook insists on having write access.

Been there, tried that
Greg,you're partially right.You can't access pst files directly from cd as you say,Outlook DOES need write access but you can copy them to a hard disk from cd and remove the read only attribute (As Kevin has done here!!) and that'll work fine........

Kevin,if you fire up Windows explorer and then right click on the drive letter that you're writing to (In this case C drive!) and choose PROPERTIES it should say in there whether it's FAT32 or NTFS.If it is NTFS make sure that you have "Modify" permissions on the directory where you're saving the pst file to!!

Lemme know

Nick
Old 03 October 2002, 12:07 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what you need to do, is remove the personel folder, then re-add it and point to the file you copied back from cd.

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2002, 12:38 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Okay, an update.

It is NTSF and I do have full permissions on the C: drive - in case it's a desktop issue, I've copied the PST that I saved to the desktop into the root on C: so it now sits alongside the original PST created in outlook. The original that hasn't been on the CD opens ok, the one that's been on the CD gives me the error message - 'properties for this information service must be defined prior to use', then 'the file blah.pst is not a personal folders file' ?? Only thing I've yet to try is copying the CD PST back to the root on C: rather than the desktop but I doubt if that'll make any difference.

Thanks
Old 03 October 2002, 02:08 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

As Christian says,remove the pst folder service from Outlook and then add it back in to point to the file from the CD.I think I mentioned similar on an earlier post of mine
I assume that you've added a pst folder service to Outlook which points to the correct file path?
That should cure the problem!!

Nick
Old 03 October 2002, 02:14 PM
neilp
Scooby Regular

This also depends on how you have created the pst, if you used the default (compressible encryption) then you will not be able to share the pst, you need to select no encryption, you can then burn this to cd and many other people can share the delights of your mail ;-)