Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Please help me..........im desperate!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 11:31 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

If anyone knows anything about Windows 2k server and active directory then can you please help me!

I've recently installed a new server onto our network. The old one had NT4 server with approximately 1900 user accounts and all the relevant user data on a home drive designated for each one.

Upon installing the new server i found by the error codes shown that we had a corrupt SAM databse. Meaning all of the user accounts were somehow corrupt and would not relpicate accross to our new server.

As there was no way to recover the corruption I have installed Windows 2k server onto the new server for upgradability purposes. I have started adding the users and copied the data accross. I estimate that the whole proccess of adding users/sharing and setting permissions and any other configurations will take about 3 months. I dont have that amount of time.

I have seen that a program called csvde or ldifde will import bulk users into active directory. However i cannot seem to get this to work i keep getting error messages and the like when using the users.csv file:

S:\>csvde -i -f s:\users.csv -s pdc
Connecting to "pdc"
Logging in as current user using SSPI
Importing directory from file "s:\users.csv"
Invalid file format. DN Attribute not defined
0 entries modified successfully.
An error has occurred in the program

I need help in setting a system up where it will work 100%. A long shot i know but if there are still "kind" people who share frustration in the IT world willing to help then i would immensly appreciate it. Perhaps someone has experienced the same problem or has some sort of system to Administer Networks running pants microsoft active directory structures!

Please help!!!
Old 24 September 2002, 11:43 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

R.B.5.

drop me a mail at work paul@hyperlink-interactive.co.uk think we've been talking about this already, but I'll see if I can help
Old 24 September 2002, 11:45 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks. Can i speak to you over the phone at all?
Old 24 September 2002, 12:02 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post up part of your csv file as well..

or email it to me.. dont really do much with AD at the moment, but I like a challenge..

David
Old 24 September 2002, 12:08 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

why arn't you using ADMT out of curiosity to migrate users??
or am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

I also remember when you had this issue about 2 months ago (sure it was you) with a corrupt SAM, did you try NETDOM as I suggested ??

shunty
Old 24 September 2002, 01:22 PM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

yes it didnt work! Do you mean the migration tool when you say ADMT? The reason i cannot migrate is because i have a corrupt SAM and therefore migrating that SAM would bring with it the corruption. LDIFDE or CSVDE wont as it is only txt or csv file format. Myself and Paul have now got the ldifde working so all i need is to put in the users and hey presto.

The share and permissions on users home drives remains a problem though but wont take that long. I dont think that there is a faster way of setting that one up!

Thx very much for the help and speedy replies! Scoobynet and the people on here rule
Old 24 September 2002, 02:36 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shares and permissions are easy to automate, especially if you have the file with a list of users..

Search the web on "Setting Permissions Creating Shares Scripting"

If you dont uncover anything then drop me a mail.

David