Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Direct Cable connect - XP home + W98

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2002, 04:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Got a new PC with XP home, want to transfer my files from my laptop using a Laplink cable.

After hours of hacking around, I'm finally coming up against password problems, and it's driving me mad.

First question - do I, at some point, need to install anything on my laptop? One of the many (un)Help comments was about making sure you had the netsetup.exe on all computers, but I think that was to allow all computers internet access, not just file transfer.

I can set them up as Host and Guest respectively, and I can get the connections running, I just either can't see (from one) or be allowed access (from the other) once the connections are running. The Workgroup is the same name.

If I set up the PC (XP) to have Incoming connections, it connects. However, DCC on the laptop's W98 says it can't display the shared folders, please type in the name of the host computer. I've tried a few different names, incl BJH desktop and the weird xxxxxx8x8x6v-type number, but it can't find them.

When I give my XP logon the permission to connect, it automatically seems to allocate a password which I don't know! The really odd thing is, it doesn't seem to be my XP user password (ie when I'm later prompted for a password, my XP user password doesn't work), yet when I change the connect password, the user password changes to that. Weird.

I have also set "allow directly connected devices to connect without a password" but it still asks for one later. And I can't work out what password it needs.

Help!

Sorry this isn't clear, but I'm not so good with XP, it's a bit new!

Brendan
Old 16 September 2002, 08:44 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need to create a user on each machine with the same username and password I think.

have a look at www.wown.com
Old 16 September 2002, 09:39 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Ken , I like the site. Will try it when I get home.

But creating a new user on each machine - what, so I have to set upt the W98 as a networked machine rather than a standalone? Coz it doesn't have users like XP, it just, erm, exists.

The guy on the site also said he just created users and passwords: that's the bit I'm having trouble with. He also said that you should enter the name of the PC so it can be identified; again, I tried that and it didn't want to work.

At "work" now, so as I said, will try again this evening.

BJH
Old 16 September 2002, 12:00 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brendan

I think the option for creating users is in Control Panel in win98, and the computer name is part of the network identification. I think you are better creating a new user on each machine rather than trying to use the Guest account or anything like that.

Good luck

Ken