Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Networking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2002, 01:28 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a desktop and laptop both running XP Pro, connected via LAN. I want to be able to gain unconditional access to the laptop from the desktop, but cant figure out how to do it.

So far, I can connect and get restricted access, but when I attempt to look at (for example) the windows directory, I get an access denied error.

Any pointers please as I seem to be going around in circles.

TIA
Old 08 September 2002, 02:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

right click on your C: drive icon, select sharing tab (you'll get loads a warnings), tick allow network users to change my files.

and that should work - not very secure though..
Old 08 September 2002, 02:34 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Thanks - security is not really an issue as the only users on the network are me and me.
Old 08 September 2002, 09:53 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Tried that - dont do what I need. That allows me to access certian areas, but if I try to access the Windows or Program Files directories, I get an Access Denied error.
Old 08 September 2002, 10:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

works on my two machines just fine - admittedly i'm accessing a win xp pro box from a win98 box...

have you checked that you don't have additional permissions set on the windows or progr files dir ??
Old 08 September 2002, 11:30 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Yep, checked them. Have shared the C Drive only. Can access all of the 'common' areas, but when I try to access any system folders, get access denied, although the administrators group is set for full control.

I set this up on works machines some time ago, and got it to do what I wanted, but cannot recall how it was done. When I compare machine settings all appears to be the same.

I seem to recall it has something to do with logging a user on as a service, but cant recall excatly how I did it or how it was set.
Old 09 September 2002, 12:59 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

On My Computer. Go Tools/Folder Options/View, scroll to bottom of list and uncheck use simple file sharing.

Do you login to both boxes? or is it auto login?

If you make your usernames and passwords the same on both machines it would be easier.

Now you should be able to go Start/Run, "\\computer1\c$". If you can get the windows then you have full access to the C drive.

H
Old 09 September 2002, 09:10 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Hi HHxx,

Use autologin, machines are in a workgroup (not a domain). Had tried with same and different user names/passwords, with/without SFS enabled to no avail. The one thing I haven't tried is accessing via the route you suggest (Start>Run etc.) will give that a go tonight.

The main reason for attempting to do this is I want to install Sophos Antivirus Admin which will allow me to check that SAV is up-to-date on each machine from one PC. As it stands ATM, SAVAdmin reports access rights to the laptop as 'none' so I cannot see the status of SAV.

Thanks for your help
Old 09 September 2002, 01:59 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
You have set up the SAV account on each PC though?

The SAV account DOES log in as a service.......read the instruction book which comes with SAV it gives you a blow by blow guide on how to do exactly what you want.

I admister SAV & use SAVadmin at work all the time - ask if need anymore info.....
Old 09 September 2002, 02:17 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Hi Dr Hu. Yes the SAV accounts had been set up on each machine per the instructions, but I was setting up SAVAdmin in retrospect and could not gain access to the client machines to check status etc. I have solved it now - I have to change the validation rule so that users were validated as themselves, not as a Guest.

Unless I have got it wrong, it seems that SAVAdmin does not use the SWEEPUPD account to report its status.
Old 09 September 2002, 05:53 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
You may be right - as SAVadmin will report on a PC wether its got SAV installed or not - and SAVadmin installs the user name on the PC as it needs to.....

I've only got a couple of XP machines on SAVadmin - but I have one which has 'NONE' for access, never got round to finding out why.......one out of several hundred always seems to be a low priority thing whats this validation rule thingy you're on about? It may be worth a check
Old 09 October 2002, 12:23 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

On the target machine: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Security Options. Find the key titled "Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" The default is "Guest Only - local users authenticate as Guest" change this to "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves". The target will also need a user account set up to match the one being used on the SAVAdmin host.

I had the Access None problem too, but changing that security key changed that to Full, and SAVAdmin now works as intended

[Edited by Figment - 9/10/2002 12:24:52 AM]