Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Question For Audio Experts

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 05:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As DJ Dunk sez - Sonic Foundary is good.....

Normalising will kind of do the trick, but all that will do is lift the peak of the recording to 0dB (maximum level), however, you want the average levels to be comparable - the best way is to use the "increase/ decrease gain" function. Keep adding level in 3dB sections until it sounds the same. I know it sounds long winded, but if a job's worth doing properly....

You're also really looking for an EQ to get rid of the background noise (called subtractive EQ'ing) but bear in mind that the some of the noise frequencies will also be present in the audio you want to keep - therefore the more noise you take out, the more of the original sound will be missing.

Some packages also do a noise-lessener, but will SF, you can zoom right into the audio waveform and pencil out the clicks!

Otherwise, try digidesign's ProTools. Much more difficult to use (better results) but it is the industry-standard for audio-applications (preferably on the Mac )

Try and find the CD Architect extra for SF - you can then insert 'flags' where you want each track to be and it will be to Red Book standard (will play on a CD)
This way, you can just press record on the PC and let it run!

The other package to try is Steinberg's Clean! This is primarily designed for this type of application (recording continuous audio to CD)

Hope this helps...

Dan

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 9/5/2002 5:38:23 PM]
Old 05 September 2002, 02:12 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

I am transferring some recordings from MiniDisc to CD for a friend via the PC. They are recordings of a deceased family member. There are some general chat type recordings that are of a high volume and the recording of the funeral/celebratory service which is very quiet in comparison.

I've got all the MD tracks onto the PC in WAV format ready for cutting to CD, but I want to equalise the volumes before or it will all be either too loud or too quiet across the CD.

Anyone know a good package that does this?

TIA,

Alex
Old 05 September 2002, 02:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You want to "normalise" the tracks. I believe most packages will do this, including whatever you're using at the mo.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:28 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

MP3 Workshop is good for doing this sort of thing, and its free.

Alternatively, I use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge.