Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help on Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2002, 02:16 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this has probably been flogged to death now, I have read some of the previous threads, but I want to make sure I've got the most up-to-date advise.

I currently have a single PC I want to connect, and I'm looking for the best deal around, including the hardware required.

So, what ISP ? What modem ? Is it worth getting a router/modem now, or could I get just the modem now and a router later if I want to slap on a proxy server at a later stage ? I assume I need a micro-filter too ?

Any specific hardware recommendations that you're currently happy with would be much appeciated.

Cheers
Daz

Old 23 August 2002, 03:23 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pretty please ?

I wanna try and get things ordered today.
Old 23 August 2002, 04:10 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

i've got blueyonder broadband, www.blueyonder.co.uk

All the hardware (except for PC and required network card) is supplied as part of the £30 a month charge (£25 if you have a phone with Telewest). For an extra tenner you can upgrade from 512k to 1Mbit. it's FANTASTIC. Downloading from kazaa.com is great

NTL do a similar service. Check out their websites to make sure they can supply the service to your area. I think BT are doing something too, but have no details.

[Edited by darkblueturbo - 8/23/2002 4:11:59 PM]
Old 24 August 2002, 07:04 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dazzler

As always the best place to have a look regarding ISPs & Broadband is http://www.adslguide.org.uk.

A number of ISPs are doing deals which include the hardware required.

I would always go for the Router over a straight modem as the performance over the ADSL is faster & more reliable. If you get something like a Zyxel Prestige it comes with a 4 port hub built in and you just need a cheap network card and a cable to connect. You'll need a micro-filter for each extension that is connected to the number that is going to be ADSL enabled.

Hope that helps

Jeff
Old 24 August 2002, 07:14 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Filters should be <£10 and most routers come with all the cables you need (inc one straight through Cat5 about 2 meters long)

Once you have found the ISP you want to use, get a wires only install as most seem to charge a little extra on the rental if you buy hardweare from them to cover the cost of hardware support.

Loads of places will sell you hardware online such as www.dabs.com and www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Jon

Ps I have got an Alcatel 510 4 port router which is only 10 base T but some routers have a 4 port 10/100 auto sensing switch (like a Zxyel I was testing for work) but is it worththe extra cost when B/Band is only 512k?
Old 24 August 2002, 08:01 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rusty

If he connects another machine to the same hub then 10/100 becomes something to have.....The Zyxel range tends to be very stable and uses the same OS that the Netgear products use.

Jeff
Old 24 August 2002, 08:10 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Jeff, It's true having a 10/100 switch in the router is handy if data is going from machine to machine on the LAN (again assuming both nodes have 10/100 NICS) but that is not the need of most home LANs.

I liked the Zxyel I tested so much so that the ISP I work for is going to start offering it as an alternative to the Alcatel Speedtouch kit.

Jon
Old 27 August 2002, 12:29 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advise. I'll start getting it all ordered today. Can't wait for it to be up and running!