Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NTL/Telewest

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 11:16 AM
RiMo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Anybody out there got any experience of these 2 companies? I've just moved and am looking to get cable/broadband etc. etc.

Thanks,

Rich

[Edited by RiMo - 8/15/2002 11:17:44 AM]
Old 15 August 2002, 12:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I have NTL 512k broadband. It works brilliantly, very rarely runs slow, although occasionally do have the odd connectivity problem which usually sorts itself out overnight.

The downside:

if you do get a fault you'll have to spend about an hour on hold before being transferred between a few departments, but once you've found intelligent life they're usually pretty good at either sorting a problem out or getting an engineer on-site reasonably quikly (far better than BT in this respect).

In short I'm very happy with my Broadband and have no affiliation with NTL, in fact I work for an ISP myself. I would have ADSL if I could get it in my area but only because I can get it at cost through work.
Old 15 August 2002, 12:46 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I have Telewest - the ADSL is excellent - no probs in 6 months other than a fried modem from a power cut which was replaced within days.

The cable tv is not so good though - they keep updating the software with completely different OS which has messed up my remote settings more than once. Universal remotes will generally not work with the Pace set top box too (unless you use a one for all). No dolby digital etc either.

[Edited by chopper - 8/15/2002 12:47:01 PM]
Old 15 August 2002, 12:53 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Got Telewest broadband. Superb kit, reliable but crap customer service. Telephone seems okay, never had problems with it.

Wouldn't touch the Digital TV with yours though.
Sister had no end of problems with it and ended up not paying them because they never fixed the problem.

I use Sky Digital and love every minute of it.

Will be changing to Pipex when I move, because Telewest do not serve the area I am moving to, other wise it would be a case of better the devil.

All IMO of course
Old 15 August 2002, 03:25 PM
RiMo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Guys!

I have since found out that neither NTL or Telewest serve my area though. What an ****, I should have checked that first.

Apparently I will have to speak to the local council office to find out who (if anyone) provides in my area.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 15 August 2002, 07:10 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Where in Hampshire are you?
For the benefit of those live in NTL exC&W Wessex areas, broadband may well be available now. It is in Southampton but you need to argue with them. According to their website postcode checker they are sorry but cable is not available to me, strange that, I've got TV and phone! You need to phone them.
20 metres of Cat5 cable and USB adaptor arriving next week FOC.
CFan't wait.