Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Satellite Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 08:10 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at satellite broadband as I can't get physical connection in my area, there's two options - single user and router access. Router access would obviously allow me to share the connection but it's 1200 quid. Single user is half that and I don't mind dedicating a machine to the job or a little more outlay on a standalone router to do the job. My question is basically if one machine has a connection, surely it's always possible to share it? They say Internet Connection Sharing won't work but there's not reason for it not to is there?

I don't mind a technical answer!
Old 14 August 2002, 10:36 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Check out this thread below

http://www.lancerregister.com/bbs/sh...n&pagenumber=2

I was thinking about it, not bothering now

Rich.
Old 14 August 2002, 10:38 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

oh, i just realised i`ve slated a company by posting that link, is this allowed, i heard Scooobynet was juat *alittle* OTT when it comes to giving honest advice about customer service.

Rich
Old 14 August 2002, 10:53 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb2/ultimatebb.cgi?category=2

Old 15 August 2002, 02:46 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. That's certainly undercovered a few facts that BT hadn't taken the time to tell me

General concensus is that single user stuff can be shared, I spent 15 minutes on the phone to a guy from broadbandbuyer.co.uk (incedently excellent, knew his stuff) and he tells me it's possible. Now only that, they're looking in to packages which should be a better deal than the BT stuff. However latency and reliability issues concern me, I was going with satellite to *get rid* of a patchy connection, not just get a quicker one!
Old 15 August 2002, 02:54 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

here's a list of satellite broadband provider for your perusal .
Old 15 August 2002, 03:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would wait. Sat is sooo expensive plus theres the planning permission problem for the dish.

BT are suppose to be trialling new ADSL technologies that are suppose to cost them alot less than usual, to make it viable for them to install in rural areas.

Might have to wait til 2010 or something thou
Old 15 August 2002, 09:40 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

I'm not even in a rural area, I'm 6 miles from Liverpool city centre!!! I'm just feeling let down with the roll-out of quick net connections that seems to be taking forever!
Old 16 August 2002, 08:46 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Ian, small world

I currently have BT satellite broadband installed here at my family home in Scotland. If you are looking to play games then the satellite route is not for you. The ping rates i get here are higher than that i would get with a normal 56k modem.

However, Speed for downloading files is next to none. I only have this due to being fed up of waiting 3 minutes for a flash site to load, or 25 minutes to download an Mp3. The time schedule for upgrading my nearest station for broadband lined connections is going to be at least a year so this seemed the best option.

I now get download connections of between 60-140kb/s which I'm really happy with it. Beats 2.3-3.4kb/s like before.

Expensive for what it is? Absolutely. but the speed has been worth it for me so far anyway.

As for sharing. I haven't tried it properly as of yet but everyone i've spoken to has pretty much said the same thing.. I should be able to connect the broadband hub to a dedicated pc and then create an internet sharing network between the 2 pc's. This is meant to be easy using XP also. I haven't tried it yet though but planning to do so soon.

Hos

ps- You may be interested as i would rather have known before i had went ahead but BT use Gilat for their satellite service. The system I have installed is the Skyblaster 360

[Edited by Hos - 8/16/2002 9:01:14 AM]
Old 16 August 2002, 11:21 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am in a similar situation but I am three miles from the business centre of Milton Keynes...

I've decided to go the Home Highway route (which is now available to me apparently - I applied when it was released and was told "No"!) and also in the process of setting-up the Netsystem satellite system for additional downloads.

Netsystem is one-way but you get 350kps 24x7 for £23pm (1Mbps 2am - 9am for £5 extra pm) and they are offering a free satellite DVB card until the end of August.

You need planning permission for more than one dish on your house (and that assuming you are not in a conservation area/listed building etc) but you can use a "dual focus" dish to get around this...

Thanks

Gavin

[Edited by GavinP - 8/16/2002 11:28:26 AM]