Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Your IT colleagues (sp) pet hates?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 12:47 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fact I have another 3 (although not in the league of Salesmen).

1. Project Managers who provide time estimates to a customer on availability of servers who have never built and configured one - and can't be bothered to ask someone who has. Client gets arsey at me because I can't meet wholly unrealistic timescale ( unless someone can invent the 72hr day ).

2. 'Consultants' (see salesmen with enough knowledge to be dangerous) who spec and order kit off their own bat without knowing if it is up to the job beyond the first 35seconds of go-live.
The next time I hear "quick win solution" someone gets punched.

3. IIS - has no redeeming features.

[Edited by stevem2k - 8/3/2002 12:50:43 AM]
Old 08 May 2002, 03:01 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Programmers/developers who have no concept of the word security, usually with the refrain..

"hey it works OK, if it doesnt work on a production box because it's locked down then run it on the insecure developer box under my desk that I used instead. Anyway it's what the (traders/business/my manager/my bonus is riding on) want so tough sh!te"

well no actually your a long haired, scruffy sh!te bag who is usually responsible for the systems being hacked by outside auditors and giving us headaches, who everytime you log onto a machine you leave a trail of destruction/freeware/god knows what flaky code that means that at least the workstation if not every server you touched has to be blown away as the only way to make the machine secure again.

cheerio

[Edited by Ga22ar - 8/5/2002 3:22:22 PM]
Old 02 August 2002, 07:23 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a ***** of an hour... with disks failing etc...

Anyway had a DLT Autoloader drive fail today, simply becuase someone when installing in the rack hadnt bothered to tighten the thumb screws on the scsi cable.. Wank3r!

Anyway what are your pet hates mine (lots) are as follows....

1) People not labeling things.. (I label everything, from machine to what port a network cable is in)

2) Untidyness in comms cabinets.. (including servers not in straight)

3) Rackmount servers on desks (live) when there is free space in the rack.

4) People Disabling the virus scanner and blaming every problem on it.

5) Insufficient documentation to fix other peoples **** ups.

6) Stupid people with qualifications out of a book, that think becuase im 22 and dont have an mcse, that they then know more than me.

7) People outside IT thinking that there application that they have 'written' can run on our server, and they can administer that server... Also departments that think that because they paid for the server it makes it theres... Err no.. we are the asset owner of all IT eqpt, and can and will deploy it where we like.

Think that will do for the moment..

And you cant say Microsoft, Windows, Bill Gates or IIS!

David
Old 02 August 2002, 07:28 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

kids who got MCP and think they know everything, but got absolutely no experience in a real world situation!
Old 02 August 2002, 07:34 PM
suffolkscoob
Scooby Regular

Users, all of 'em, every ******* one of them, things work soooo much better without them
Old 02 August 2002, 08:27 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

People screwing bits in so tight you need an impact hammer to loosen them.

People tying cables in so tight around kit that you cant slide the hot-swappable bits in and out without dismantling everything

People who wedge fibres in rack doors

Deano
Old 02 August 2002, 08:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

1. People who check in code that quite clearly will never build. Tossers.

2. Managers who set up projects without even asking how long I think this bit of code will take to write, test, implement.

3. Users. All of them. Totally agree on that one.

Cheers

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 02 August 2002, 11:25 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Ooo, got another one.

4. Users who never clean their workstations. So you go along to sort a problem to find the screen is filthy with dust and dried snot from where they have sneezed, keyboard full of hair and sandwich crumbs and a mouse with an inch of crap on the bottom. Euurgh !
Old 03 August 2002, 12:39 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Salesmen
Old 03 August 2002, 01:07 AM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

1. Users. I think they cause most of my headaches. Being phoned on a saturday because some retarded excuse for a journalist can't turn a pc off really winds me up.

2. Closely followed by bone headed datacentre 'techs'.

e.g. a set of server was delivered to our datacentre directly to be racked, however an oversight by someone meant they were delivered without rails. Do the datacentre techs A. Call you and query the absence of the rails? or B. take your expensive hot plug servers and bolt them directly the the rack in such a way that you can't remove any of them without the whole lot falling out?

Yup, B. Their reasoning when I spoke to our "customer advocate" (bullsh1t title alert!) They were meant to fit directly to the rack, didn't the fact the fronts you'd bolted them on with were bending GIVE YOU A FSCKING CLUE?

Although to be honest last time one of our servers was put on rails by them they failed to put in the little things for the thumbscrews stopping the server sliding out, so yes, one live server abruptly came sliding forward at my head while I was working on the one below

3. script kiddies - what a pointless waste of space, picking up exploits in a can from packetstorm and generally causing heaches for admins everywhere keeping on top of security notices. OpenSSH, bind, then trojaned OpenSSH tar *****, **** it all.

4. Linux - could you make the distributions a little more inconsistent and while your at it put config for everything non-base system in /etc, yeah cheers. And if you could manage to bloat the installation across a few cds while your at it that would be great too. I suppose this is my equivalent of a comms cabinet, is a tidy, bloat free base system too much to ask?

I think that'll do for now.
Old 03 August 2002, 10:19 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Here's a few:

1) People who claim they have 'finished' a bit of code, but are then still working it two days later.

2) Users/Admins/Tech support who say that 'nothing has changed' and then admit six hours later 'well I did just install X...'

3) Hardware and its ability to go wrong just when the deadlines are approaching and you don't have a spare one.

4) Recuitment Agents - when I'm looking for a job they never phone me back. The minute I've found a contract, they all phone constantly. When they don't have anything to offer, they always bloody phone to find out my availability.

5) Anyone who manages to go into Telehouse the first time, without saying 'beam me up scotty', as they have no soul.
Old 03 August 2002, 10:45 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
stevem2k...

NUMBER 2!!!

LMFAO

So true though

David
Old 03 August 2002, 02:38 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

users that give their PC a static address with the wrong default gateway

users that give their PC an address that is already being used

users that give their PC an address that just happens to be the address of the router
Old 03 August 2002, 02:51 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

OK..

1. IT graduates, pointless unless you have 3 years commercial experience, just proves you can pi$$ it up the wall for three years and take a few exams

2. MCSE, only proves you can read a book or use braindumps

3. Unix/Linux, more holey than Jesus

4. People who think that Linux will take over, yeah like a OS that can have or allow unknown/unvalidated/written in a bedroom code is going to be trusted by a corporation. It's a tactical solution at best and is never going to be a strategic solution

5. IT people who have no percepetion of "security", security isnt just technical it's also processes and procedures

6. Microsoft bashers, lets face it guys if it wasnt for MS we'd all be a lot poorer

cheerio
Old 03 August 2002, 03:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Gaz, disagree with linux not being strategic. It is for IBM...

I think my pet hates have all been covered already
Old 03 August 2002, 04:53 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Errr... managers who make all the rules we have to live by and then blatantly flout them on their own systems.
Old 03 August 2002, 05:31 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Talking

Programmers who think they can write end-user documentation!

Steve (ducking and running for cover)
Old 03 August 2002, 05:31 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Chiark..

Your talking about an vendor who selling, not a client who's buying..

Doesnt matter how good the OS is, if clients dont believe/trust/get value then they aint gonna buy it, look at OS2 or BeOS..

cheerio
Old 03 August 2002, 08:44 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Managers that expect programmers to write end-user documentation.

Disabling anti-virus software because the ******* in IT can't configure it properly.

Old 03 August 2002, 08:47 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

The whole department had their contacts terminated, and they all got jobs before I did.
Old 04 August 2002, 12:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Computer
Users
Non
Technical
Old 04 August 2002, 09:45 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

1 - DBA's, it's always the hardware/network/disk performance that maks the system slow. It's never that they've got screwed up indexes is it?

2 - Users who stick Cape banana stickers and furry toys all over their monitors. Why? Do they do it to their TV's at home?

3 - People who try to recreate the Gordian knot when they visit a patch cabinet.

4 - People who leave old coffee cups in or on server racks.

5 - Project Managers. All of them. No exceptions.

6 - Security "experts" who insist you follow "their" guidelines, conveniently ignoring that it will stop the business running.

7 - DBA's again. Just because.

8 - Helpdesk guys who's first "fix" attempt everytime is to reboot.

9 - Those salesmen who ring everyday and won't take NO for an answer.

10 - SMS messages. Don't people realise when I don't answer the phone at 2am. I don't want a damn SMS either!

Old 04 August 2002, 11:19 AM
adamm
Scooby Regular

I hate any computer that's fitted with a HID (Human Input Device) - just think - if you ban all mice and keyboards, how relaxing your work day would become
Old 04 August 2002, 03:12 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Users...........
Old 04 August 2002, 10:08 PM
ChrisB

2 - Users who stick Cape banana stickers and furry toys all over their monitors. Why? Do they do it to their TV's at home?
Yes, Yes, YES!

We swapped a whole floor of monitors out one weekend - assorted 14 and 15" ******** to nice new 17s. The amount of ****e people keep on top of their monitors, attached to the sides or carefully positioned around the base of it drove me up the wall.
Old 05 August 2002, 11:21 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Crikey, where do I start?

* Terrible hacked up non-portable code
* People that do Bad Things and don't own up when it all goes wrong
* People that pass the buck all day
* Ex-employees that seem to spend all their time mailing friends of theirs that still work here the problems they experience
* Mobile phones left on peoples' desks that sit there and ring that BLOODY ANNOYING ring ALL DAY LONG without any regard for anyone else (mostly marketing types)
* Marketing types
* When I come in after a day off and my nicely adjusted chair is missing or swapped
* My tidy desk being covered in the **** from the people beside me because theirs is too messy
* Meetings, and all the stupid meeting talk that goes with it. What does holistic actually mean in that context anyway?
* Everything basically sucks, so I'm open to hiring offers

Old 05 August 2002, 01:24 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

My top 10.

1. Managers who expect project time estimates to be anything other than random numbers.

2. Managers who expect the actual time taken to be within 200% of the numbers mentioned above.

3. People who whinge about me checking in code which "doesn't compile", only to find out it was a mistake at their end.

4. Users who phone up with a problem, and by the time you get to their desk they say "oh, sorry - I hadn't done XYZ, it works now". [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

5. Actually, scrub that. Let's just say all (L)users.

6. Security managers who dumbly decide to remove access to the area of the building where all the (L)users work, but still expect us to continue supporting them there. (yes, this happened to me 2 weeks ago).

7. Stoopid f*cking project meetings where you have to sit in a circle and give an overview of what you've done for the last week and what you'll be doing for the next week - wasting an hour of everyone's time with something that'd take 2 minutes via an email to the project manager. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

8. Lotus Notes.

9. Getting invoices paid late. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

10. Loads of other sh*t that happens every day.
Old 05 August 2002, 01:26 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Angry

1. Project managers who go ballistic when you inform them that the deadlines they set without consulting you or your team are about as realistic as Blakes 7.

2. People who write ****e code.

3. Mainframe programmers who try and write technical specs for VB programmers.

4. Users that install every bit of freeware under the sun, and then complain when your app falls over....

5. Project Managers who fail to understand that Saturday and Sunday are the days that make up the weekend.

6. Users who reckon they could have been a "Proramming contender Arry" and write enough dodgy VBA modules to give you heart failure, then ask you to support it when it dies...

Best user quote for the above "Oh Yeah - I used to do Vision Basic"

7. Higher management who give you "that thanks for popping in look" when you leave before 6:30 PM - GRRRRR

8. "Alt Tabbers"....Coders pretending to work, have a page of MSDN open at 10AM to hide their browser window, and become experts at alt tabbing whenever you come into the room, at 4PM they are still reading the same page about Windows DDK release notes when they're supposed to be doing VB - Hmmmmm.
Old 05 August 2002, 01:32 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Coders pretending to work, have a page of MSDN open at 10AM to hide their browser window
What's wrong with that?
Old 05 August 2002, 04:42 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Most of them covered already but....

1. Users who have written a database of their album collection in Access deciding they are skilled coders of biblical proportions.
2. Users disagreeing with you, using their Windows for Dummies book as reference.
3. Unix gurus still walking around in sandals.
4. Penny-pinching accountants who decide Dell is the best hardware available.

Microsoft - better the devil you know.

Quick Reply: Your IT colleagues (sp) pet hates?