Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best digital camera with floppy disk?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2002, 03:03 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

We want a good quality camera but one that will save to floppy for ease of multiple users!

Cheers

Mick
Old 30 July 2002, 03:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Sony make those to my knowledge. They're a little esoteric.

For the price of 8MB memory cards now, I'd get one that uses a decent format and get people to buy their own card if remotely possible. If not, have a stock of cards around and loan 'em out.

Is there no way of using a laptop or something to dump images onto first then write to disc?

Old 30 July 2002, 03:15 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

i.e you want different people to be able to walk away with their pics on a floppy disc (whatever they are )?

I'm sure there's no current camera that does that. The main problem (apart from size, mechanical complexity and power consumption) would be storage size - 1.4MB ain't exactly gonna hold many pictures at any reasonable quality.

I think you'll just have to go with the flow and use, say, Compact Flash (which I prefer over SmartMedia), with a card for each user. They then need to be able to read the card with something of course. Is that a problem?

What's the real requirement you're trying to solve?
Old 30 July 2002, 03:23 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

those sony digital camera are good 5 years ago. i remembered my company had one and it was sooooooooooo slow in saving the files into the floppy. battery life doesn't last long either.

if you wanna access the digital pictures on a floppy drive, you can get a SmartMedia convertor to floppy disk.

another alternative is a USB to SmartMedia/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/MMC/SD convertor.
Old 30 July 2002, 08:53 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

my next door neibour has one of these, a sony mavica- despite the small memory the pics are pretty good- i think its the way the camera captures the image is the main thing
Old 31 July 2002, 09:35 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Cheers.

What we want the camera for is for a group of 3 of us at work. I suppose from what you have said that it may be worth purchasing a couple of extra cradles or connection wires to enable anyone to download direct to their own PC without having to disturb someone else and move equipment about?

We need to photograph automotive parts for comparison, on and off vehicles, for tear down analysis and reporting and to e-mail images to colleagues on different sites.

A priority is for close up ability as well as reasonable image quality.

Cheers

Mick
Old 31 July 2002, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

What's close? Some digicams have macro lenses that support distances of around 20mm...

I'd just put a card reader in with the camera in its bag and let people download and wipe cards as they're finished. You could also have a card each.

I was wondering if it was for a school which is why you wanted floppies, but as we're not so budget bound the separate memory card is a goer - 64 mb cards are around 20 quid and will get a fair few pictures on.

If that approach works, what's your budget and between us we'll find a camera for ya!

Ease of use or picture quality and flexibility - what's your priority?