Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ISDN and ISDN2E

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2002, 08:46 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just had BT's Home Highway installed and I'm trying to log into my works connection which is the older ISDN2E - are they compatible ? I get an error at this end saying the 'remote computers hardware is incompatible with the type of call requested'. Other end is a BT ISDN2E box connected to a Sisco 770 router - is it the 2E or the router ?

Can anyone help ?

Kevin.
Old 25 July 2002, 10:34 PM
ChrisB

Calling Deano

I'd always thought the digital part of HH was ISDN2e. Maybe not though.

Does anyone else call into the same equipment from a proper ISDN2e line?
Old 25 July 2002, 11:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup - I do & even for the accounts doris yesterday who went from HH to ISDN2e @ the office over TAs with PcAnywhere, it was NP...

Prob the routers as ISDN2e & HH are essentially the same thing - 2x 64K channel over dual copper, 'cept HH has extra tricks

But Deano "da man"!!
Old 25 July 2002, 11:30 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Yep, I've looked a bit deeper in the bowels of the web and it is one and the same thing. I'll get the Cisco router manual out tomorrow and see if it helps.

Kevin
Old 25 July 2002, 11:37 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Its all compatible. ISDN2 was the old long tall ISDN NTEs. ISDN2e is the newer curved one with the little green LED on the front - the one that goes out if left then magically comes to life when tested

Been 3/4 years since I played with a 700 series but I was poking around when Puff was flogging thoses other ones and I'm sure I saw something about compatibilty for dialing into IOS (i.e. proper )routers. I'll have another look.

Cut and paste the actual debug if you want, should point us in the right direction.

Deano
Old 25 July 2002, 11:43 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

If the works end is a 770 - whats yours ? Router/Internal TA ?

Hmmm Its going to be that deeply nasty HH USB isn't it ? Never even loaded the drivers for it so dont know if its got the right options. And my HH is in the loft. (next to the Structured cabling ) so cant plug it in easily.

One of the common issues is Router to Router in Cisco defaults to CHAP authentication and both ends are expected to authenticate each other. Standard dial-in via a TA (and HH USB I guess) usually defaults PAP and only expects to authenticate the dial-in client.

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 7/25/2002 11:47:10 PM]