Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

1 broadband, 2 pc's - networking question

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 09:15 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya,
We've just had broadband installed and I'm really happy with it. Only one small problem. The broadband box is currently located in an office at the other end of the house installed on a tower PC but i want to be able to use it on my Sony Vaio laptop which is 70+ feet away.

So i will need to network. Just one problem... i don't have a clue how to do it so can anyone tell me how its done? and what i would need with the hardware and software?
The tower doesn't have a network card but my Vaio has a network port (Vaio also has i.link, USB etc)

Is it possible to get a wireless connection between the 2 so there wouldn't be a need for lots of wires? I've heard of bluetooth but don't know much about it. I quite like the wireless idea.

The broadband box itself can connect to PC via USB, or by network cable (Using USB at the moment) so if it can't be done then theoretically the easiest way would just be to have an extra long USB cable or Network cable from the broadband box to my bedroom then plug that in. IS there a 70+ feet network cable though?

Thankyou in advance,
Ian
Old 24 July 2002, 09:22 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Limit for USB is 5m. Limit for network is 100m with Cat5 Cable.

Drop Giles @ Broadbandbuyer.com (giles@broadbandbuyer.com) a note,
He'll explain your options but it sounds like you need an ADSL router and either an Ethernet LAN or probably easier to go wireless. There are some combined ADSL/Wireless routers around now which might be cost-effective.

Just re-read your post - if your adsl router already has an Ethernet (RJ45) port you probably just need a wireless access-point and a wireless WAN card for the laptop. Again talk to Giles or have a look on Dabs

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 7/24/2002 9:25:06 AM]
Old 24 July 2002, 09:45 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

thanks for your reply. i'll send him an email
Old 24 July 2002, 01:56 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

you dont have to have a router! You could do it from 2 network cards and a cross over cable.
Old 24 July 2002, 07:08 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

http://www.nigs.net/nigsnet/cmindex.html

This may help
Old 25 July 2002, 02:56 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

update - the guy i sent the email to this morning didn't reply so had a little bit of a serach on the net. i've read lots and lots about routers hubs cards 2ip's etc

The broadband is satellite and i'm connecting through my tower pc. I just want the laptop to connect to the tower and be able to use the internet aswell, Thought about the 2 network cards connected together.

Surely if i just got http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...&quicklinx=V8Z dabs wireless PCMCIA network card for the laptop and say a dabs wireless pci network card.. get them to connect to each other then it would work?

Hos

[Edited by Hos - 7/25/2002 3:02:04 AM]
Old 25 July 2002, 08:44 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

What are you running on the tower to share the connection ? ICS ?
Old 25 July 2002, 04:45 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Cheers Deano, Unfortunately my email address is giles@broadbandbuyer.co.uk not .com

Hos - If you still need advise then just drop me an email

rr - Giles

[Edited by roadrunner - 7/25/2002 4:48:40 PM]
Old 25 July 2002, 04:53 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Doh !

Tight git - buy the .com domain aswell
Old 26 July 2002, 08:21 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

70+ feet is a bit far for indoor wireless unless you get an extended aerial...

if you can, just run a Cat5 cable between the pc's and buy a couple of 10/100 ethernet cards.. you will of course need to run internet connection sharing on the tower and it will have to be switched on for the other PC to access net net (unless you buy a broadband router)
Old 27 July 2002, 06:45 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

2nd Update: Still haven't done anything as of yet but know alot more info about it all now.

I sent an email to giles at the .co.uk address the other day from my aol address. Haven't heard anything back though.

I'm currently using the tower to play counterstrike only. I'd rather also go wireless as its easier than drilling holes in the walls and going climbing through the roof! (its scary up there!! like a jungle ) The other advantage being is that I can then use the laptop in any room in the house and be connected to the network.

If i don't go wireless , i'm considering cutting out the network idea and using a 100m cat 5 cable connected to the laptop and using the 5m USB cable to connect to the tower and connect/disconnect for whichever pc i'm using at the time. My Sony Vaio laptop also has an ethernet card built in but i'm not sure if its 10/100 for broadband speeds.. will find out in a mo.

If i do the network (which would be handy if i bought an Mstation)
then i will just get 2 D.Link 10/100 ethernet cards and link the 2 pc's with the 100m cat5 cable. Someone mentioned software? I have no clue! but both pc's run Win XP Pro so i thought maybe just use the network idea that way?

Anyway. a trip to pc world is on the cards this afternoon to buy a 100m cat 5 cable. and look at the wireless stuff there.

Thanks for all the help,
Hos

[Edited by Hos - 7/27/2002 6:49:30 AM]
Old 28 July 2002, 05:18 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Tried the wireless option, was a nightmare to set up and was totally unsuitable for online gaming, so bought a usb cable thingy for £40 from pc world and works a treat, don't know about max cable length though

Mog
Old 28 July 2002, 05:32 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hos,

I'm thinking about going the satellite route as well (local cable doesn't offer broadband, too far from ADSL-enabled exchange ) - I would be interested who you went with, the costs involved and your feedback.

Please send me an email if you prefer.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 29 July 2002, 07:28 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Gavin,
will email you soon.
Cheers,
Hos