Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Exchange 2000 Strangeness?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 04:55 PM
Trotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, here's a good one...

Rebooted our Win2K Server this afternoon, all restarted ok except for the MSExchangeIS service (store.exe). Checked all the other relevant services, all were fine. Stopped and tried restarting all the Exchange services - all came back up ok except for the bleedin' Information Store service?

The only error I get is "The service failed to start with non-product error code 0. If this is a non-Microsoft service please contact the third party manufacturer or check the event viewer."

Helpful huh! After checking the event log I get the same message, but shorter.

We're running Ex2000, SP2 on Win2K Server SP2. Any one got any vague suggestions?

Ian
Old 12 July 2002, 06:06 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Question

Ian, whats the free disk space like? Are there many log files?

H

Old 12 July 2002, 09:58 PM
Trotty
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the reply, checked all log files (different disk) and bags of free space.

Found the problem in the end - we recently trialed GFi MailSecurity to see if it's content checking, etc was any good. When it installed it never worked properly so we removed it - problem was it used the Exchange VS API to scan the IS at a low level - when it was removed it left the reg entry telling Exchange to load that particular API - which was no longer available!

A quick regedit and ta-da! IS back online

It only became apparent once we had rebooted - we uninstalled this damn thing 3 weeks ago. On a related note, does/has anyone else used this product? Any thought or comments?

Cheers,
Ian
Old 14 July 2002, 02:12 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Reading through your description and I was thinking "AV or backup software?"...

Never used GFi, only really used Sybari. On Exchange it's (Sybari) ace, but on Domino it stinks.
Old 14 July 2002, 02:36 PM
Trotty
Scooby Regular

Ah, I'll have to have a look into that one. The GFi jobbie looked good on paper but in this instance, not so good. Perhaps others have had more success then me?