Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use Crystal Reports ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2002, 12:36 PM
Scotty Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Puff,

Yep the export works for any of the formats available

what i was trying to do was to distribute the native rpt format as i was under the impression that 'save report with data' meant that the report was saved with data rather than as a crystal format file - is this possible??

for all your crystal reports, do you get the user or app to export to another format before viewing ??

scott

[Edited by Scotty Boy - 7/4/2002 12:37:14 PM]
Old 04 July 2002, 09:58 AM
Scotty Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have an app that opens up a crystal report, the source for the report is a SQL stored procedure, this report is then 'saved as' the appropriate filename (with data).

When the user comes to open the newly saved rpt file, the report opens and tries to obtain the data again.

I was under the impression that a crystal rpt file that is saved with data will open on any machine and does not require any crystal software.

All the crystal help files point me to the same conclusion but it clearly does not work.

The other option is to set up a crystal web server and users utilise IE to view the reports - this is currently not an option for me.

Running out of books and web sites for help. Can anyone help?
Old 04 July 2002, 10:20 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Are not your report fields "referencing" the SQL d/b for their data? What you seem to be doing is saving the format of the report for use in the future, then when it's opened again, it looks for the data to fill those fields.

I think you'd have to "export" the data to another program.

I've just tested it & "exported" to word a report that we have & it worked fine.
Old 04 July 2002, 12:53 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The probable difference that we have is that all users in the office have access to the app that utilises Crystal Reports. I know that the app's install set incorporates the Crystal RunTime files & they are installed, otherwise reports not available. Dunno if that's a posibility for you.

Any user (with runtime files) can preview the reports before either printing or exporting.

DaveU - come in please!!!
Old 04 July 2002, 12:58 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

Do you not need an ODBC link from Crystal to wherever it's going? Long time since I used it but that's how I recall it.

Gamm.
Old 04 July 2002, 01:11 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

As PTMW says - have you actually installed the Crystal runtime files on the client machines? Won't work without them... Should be able to create a set thru installshield or similar. Alternatively look on the Crystal knowledge base and it will tell you what you can redistribute.........
Old 04 July 2002, 03:19 PM
Scotty Boy
Scooby Regular

Guys, i have distributed all the runtimes required according to crystal. Still no joy. the problem appears to be that the report is trying to refresh the data from the database even though it has been saved with data.

However, what i did find was a crystal offline viewer. install this and the reports open with data as expected. unfortunatly, installing this is not possible as some of the reports are sent external and i cannot guarentee that the recipient will have this viewer installed.

So does this mean that unless a vb app is build with the crystal references or the offline viewer is installed, the native rpt format CANNOT be viewed as data only?