Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lotus Notes and Exchange

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 09:47 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Does anyone here use a combination of Exchange (Outlook) and Lotus Domino as their mail client?

Most of our users use Lotus Notes Mail as their primary mail account but there are about 4 (Operations team and 1 other) that use Outlook 2002 (XP).
As most Notes users will know, there is a facility called Doclinks (bookmarks) that enables a click-able link to a specified document, E-Mail etc.

The problem we have is that these doclinks cannot be translated correctly by Exchange (Outlook). Sometimes these appear as Word files with the content of
the document that a user has been directed to, sometimes they appear as URL's that point to the web address of our Lotus Notes Domino Server and
sometimes they appear as the below:

Notes Link Description:
Timetrac <Database name>
Notes Server:
Could not be identified. Document may have been attached from a database not stored on a Notes Server.
Notes Document Link was not accessible at processing time. Contact sender or message source to obtain document link information.

We already have both the Microsoft Exchange Connector for Lotus Notes and the Microsoft Exchange Connectivity Controller installed on our
Exchange Server (2000 + SP1) but we don't receive 100% translation of Notes doclinks to Exchange (Outlook).

I trawled through pages of newsgroups and google and found nothing of any use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren
Old 26 June 2002, 09:57 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

dunno about your domino setup, but if you got the domino to act as a web server, you can access notes email via a web browser rather than using outlook as an email client. those doclinks will become a hyperlink.
Old 26 June 2002, 10:01 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Upgrade to R5.010 and the new iNotes web client - you can then read your mail anywhere in the world, if you can get to a web browser!
Old 26 June 2002, 10:19 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

but i thought it was possible to read lotus notes emails via a web browser since lotus notes 4 intranet?
Old 26 June 2002, 11:27 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

We can already check our Notes E-mail from Internet Explorer, but we need to be able to view these 'doclinks' in Outlook.

We are slowly planning a move away from Lotus Notes and towards Outlook, Exchange and Sharepoint.

Any one else got any advice?

Darren
Old 26 June 2002, 11:31 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah use domino and lotus quickplace..

David
Old 26 June 2002, 11:33 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to say it.. as I came from an exchange background... but why move away from notes... its far better... dont see many notes viruses do you??? We do use groupshield for domino, mailsweeper smtp and outbreak manager... but never get any viruses.... I would go as far as to say we have 99% uptime...

David

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2002, 11:41 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

lotus notes is far more powerful and useful than exchange. it's a proper groupware stuff!
Old 26 June 2002, 02:19 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I know how useful Notes is, and I also know that Exchange will not touch Notes for functionality, however the technical director wants to take this route. It’s got something to do with our Microsoft partnership deal , and promoting M$ products.

Thanks for the replies so far but can anyone solve my problem?

Darren
Old 27 June 2002, 10:39 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

darren, i think you are stuffed. i double checked with some notes techie and they said the same, doclink is a notes feature and wont work with outlook email client.

have a look at notes.net if there's any third party plug-in or apps that will enable outlook to re-direct to a doclink.
Old 27 June 2002, 12:36 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the assistance Suba (and everyone else)

The Notes connector is made by Microsoft for use with Lotus Notes. However, I trawled through pages and pages of support sites (m$, Notes, Labmice etc.) and white papers and came up with little help.

One thing I did pickup on was that if an Outlook user receives a bookmark (doclink) from an office user (some one permanently connected to our Domino Server) the bookmark is translated in to a URL. If an Outlook users receives a bookmark from a remote user then it comes across as a word file (.rtf).

I also tested what happens with a network user and a local DB whilst still connected to our Domino Server. I created a local replica of a DB and then sent myself an E-mail with a link in. It came across as a word.rtf file with the correct content of the document which I used as a link.

I have a feeling we are going to have to drop this, I don't see a fix anywhere that is going to be 100& reliable.

Thanks for the help guys
Darren