Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

which laptop

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2022, 09:54 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default which laptop

I am after a windows-based laptop and narrowed down to these two.....anyone have any advice on which is the better?

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapt...ptop/cn54614sc

https://www.hp.com/nl-nl/shop/produc...#detailedSpecs (apologies but specs are in dutch but simply to understand)

cheers
Old 13 October 2022, 10:13 PM
FixITJDM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intel does it for me..........

AMD has the power, but will also run HOT.

As a Laptop engineer - we currently see HP Laptops with "Internal batteries" failing - they bulge up, like smartphone batteries after less than 2 years use. Typically the bulge affects the touchpad operation as the battery is mounted under the touchpad.

Not yet seen this with the Dell's but......... Dell has it's quirky things too - they are super fussy about the charger they use and if your OEM one fails do NOT expect a copy one to work.

Fixy.
Old 15 October 2022, 10:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Not sure if I'm linking to the right link for the Dell as it bumps me over to the Spanish site (I'm in Spain) and it's giving me spec choices.

But is it the 13" XPS 2-in 1 with Intel i5, 16gb Ram, 512Gb SSD ?

If yes..That

Feel free to upgrade to i7 or 1Tb

I'm not sure if that model has a swappable hard drive...as some M.2 NVME types drives are hard soldered and not plugged in.

I'd also point out HP warranty and their return to base and on site repairs are a utter pain the ****..usual foreign call centre, hours of holding, rebooting, resetting, blaming physical hardware faults on user or software, then have a factory repair that repairs one fault only to create two further faults. Cumulative hours spent on tech support call/hold racked up into days.

Can't comment on Dell as haven't had to use them (despite having 6 dell devices).

Only thing I'd point out is 13" on a UHD screen can be a bit of a squint on the old eyes...Microsoft still has yet to perfect windows on small screen devices IMO, I know as I use a 13" UHD laptop and a Surface Go, neither of which scale text and icons that make a readable display that doesn't clog up desktop space or having desktop space but microscopic text and icons. Internet browsing stuff is fine though.

For example, Still after best part of, what? over 7 years! Sage accounts STILL does not support displays over 1920x1080 and won't scale correctly (chops off text) at higher resolutions with scaling increased above 100%. Trying to use a UHD 13" display at native resolution and 100% scaling is a stretch even with good eyesight! And windows compatibility mode only works at 800x600. So need to change resolutions every time I use Sage

I recently migrated our Bosch KTS diagnostics to a Surface Go with the same issues.

If you're used to high resolution on small screens, ignore me. But I feel it needs pointing out still as still in 2022 it's not been properly sorted, especially with more specific applications.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2022 at 10:47 AM.