Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

best adsl provider?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 12:48 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After getting thoroughly brassed off with the VERY oversubscribed service im currently on, i want to change and am looking for some recommendations based on speed and service oh and price

I'm looking for 2 meg (business user) adsl, with preferably mail access and some web space (ideally).

Old 18 June 2002, 01:00 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Paul,
Why don't you try Mistral although they are expensive they provide an SLA thats worth having !!

Failing that take a look at adslguide.org.uk and make your own mind up, they also have an end user forum with each ISP'd customers commenting on there experiance !

Phill
Old 18 June 2002, 01:06 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I've been considering A&A - not cheap but good reputation.

http://aa.nu/isp/

Anyone using them?
Old 19 June 2002, 12:02 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try a look at http://www.freedom2surf.com

[Edited by DemonDave - 6/19/2002 12:05:00 AM]
Old 19 June 2002, 07:51 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Dave don't do it!!

I've been with them for nearly 24 months now and the service in my own opinion of that company is very low. (as another scoobynetting friend will also confirm as he is also with them and having the same problems).

have a look at the isp rating at adsl guide for there last six months performance on speed, reliability etc.

My 2 meg adsl is currently one of the most expensive (was originally one of the cheapest but the price has remained the same regardless of countless BT discounts to isps and end users), there support appears to be non existent (only two guys working mon-fri 9-5 from what i can gather) and performance is now so poor its almost quicker for me to dial up on modem!

As a result of poor connectivity from f2s to BT they have started to block ip addresses of various sites (p2p stuff) and for the last two months i've been plagued with 404's where the browsers timing out awaiting a response its so slow!
In fact to give you another example, my company has been unable to send (and i presumne receive as i've had none) email for the last few days as the mail server has ran out of disk space (according to the returned error) yet can i actually manage to get someone on the phone to tell them this?

6 to 8 months ago I would have recommended them, but not currently, they are oversubscribed, poorly supported, poor performance, quite a lot of down time (tho that could just be adsl in general) and from a business point of view quite lacking in the service they provide when compared to competitors (email + webpsace etc)

All of the above is purely my point of view and not representative of scoobynet or its owners.Though anyone is welcome to pop round and see just how blindingly fast 2 meg adsl can be.......just remember to bring a good book and a razor

Old 19 June 2002, 08:51 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Interesting

I only have a 512k Home with them and so far I have not had problems. Could be a difference with personal and business ?

When I was looking f2s where high on the adsl guide, not been back and looked since !

My 512k was one of the cheapest at the time and now after waiting a couple of months (because of being on a 3 month billing cycle) it has gone down because of the BT price drop and I have got the extra freebies added to my account.

My support requirements have not been extensive but agree the I can only get them mon-fri 9-5 from what i can gather but performance for me is v good. Could this be the ADSL network in your area and not the ISP.

I have just changed user id to logon to a new part of their network to resolve the poor connectivity from f2s to BT and the mail said the would unblock ip addresses when this is done. (But then again I dont trust p2p !)

Don't use their mail - never try to lock myself into a company mail as I got stung by Demon on that.

I have had no downtime in 6-8 months ! but I don't use it 24x7.

IMHO Perhaps they are ok for personal for not business but again that would be just a comment and not a statement.

Thanks for the info anyway, cause I never signed a contract and can know drop out after a 3 month cycle. Please post if you find a good reliable and affordable provider. Might be convinced to changes !

Dave.

[Edited by DemonDave - 6/19/2002 8:52:05 AM]
Old 19 June 2002, 09:27 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Interesting as you say Dave, my friend who is also struggling with F2s lives in a different county to me and was experiencing exactly the ame problems as i.
Yet strangely you and another chap i know who are fairly recent customers (in comparison with myself) have been having none of the problems i have, but i have already checked server settings and where all going to the same places......bizarre.

The only difference really between private and business is that business should only have a contention ratio of 20:1 instead of 50:1 which to my mind would have helped it maintain higher speeds being shared with fewer customers (especially out of office hours!) Alas doesnt seem to be the case.

I changed to the new line last week, have found it to be a tiny bit quicker, but not a patch on performance from last year, probably a 70% loss in speed for me, which coupled wtith the rather high price methinks its time for a change.

In fact just as a warning for those on contracts, im still paying the amount from when i signed up in august 2000, yet i notice the current price on there site is now less, but apparently thats only for new customers, those beyond there original contract stay at the contracted rate.... oo cheers for that.
Old 19 June 2002, 10:22 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Perhaps a threat to discontinue the contract might help !!!

Dave
Old 19 June 2002, 10:26 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I'm already way out of contract and a threat to move my adsl account elsewhere just resulted in a 'thats fine, we just need 28 days notice to cancel'