Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hive smart-home

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2018, 09:21 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hive smart-home

Anyone had any issues with a Smart Hub 360 or Hive View cams by any chance?

Having a few reliability issues at the moment.
Old 14 December 2018, 10:20 AM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you give any more info on what you me by "reliability". At a guess its probably dropping off because your using a wireless connection to you broadband. Which unfortunately isn't always controllable, internal and external factors can effect it.
Old 14 December 2018, 11:22 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

When i went to the Hub360 my system was less reliable in terms of connectivity which was annoying.

The Hub is wired to the router but some hive devices disconnected more frequently than with the original hub, in the end Hive sent me a signal booster which i plugged in upstairs near the critical devices (thermostat, senders etc).

You can ask them to send you a signal booster, really helped my setup, but still annoying that there were more problems with 360hub not less.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:28 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those wifi boosters don't really work that well, at least not in my experience.
I recently purchased an Orbi mesh wifi setup - this seems to have cured my signal problems. I had two boosters in the house(BT wifi extenders), but randomly still had grief.
I work from home quite a bit, and where my office is would quite often suffer from poor signal for some reason, i've no concrete floors, just normal wooden floors, very few solid walls internally in the structure.
My wifi problems began when I got the new sky q wifi hub.
Old 14 December 2018, 01:07 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Those wifi boosters don't really work that well, at least not in my experience.
I recently purchased an Orbi mesh wifi setup - this seems to have cured my signal problems. I had two boosters in the house(BT wifi extenders), but randomly still had grief.
I work from home quite a bit, and where my office is would quite often suffer from poor signal for some reason, i've no concrete floors, just normal wooden floors, very few solid walls internally in the structure.
My wifi problems began when I got the new sky q wifi hub.
I already had Orbi mesh network, still Hive was poorer with Hub360. The booster they provide definitely helped, but i understand it may not help in all cases, at least it's free.
Old 14 December 2018, 01:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Free is sometimes good.
I had a ring floodlight camera on the driveway at the top of the garage - it was forever having wifi issues, but the big problem was to reconnect to wifi you had to climb a ladder to reset it!
The booster helped it, but then one day it just stopped working and wouldn't connnected to the booster.
Ring sent me a chime pro for free which mostly fixed the wifi problems with the camera, when I say fixed, the chime pro would sometimes drop its connection to the router, which in turn caused the camera to go offline.
Only good thing was that the chime pro reconnected to wifi on its own, and the camera reconnected to it.
I have since learned that ring products can only see up to wifi channel 11 or 12, hence why the booster appeared fcuked.

Orbi has done away with all boosters now
Old 18 December 2018, 09:27 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah i second the Mesh stuff, i popped in the Zyxel Multi X and everything's been bulletproof for 6 months plus now, hive works fine, although the lights and sensors are pants.. I did think about wifi cameras, but just sacked it off and bought some HD Hikvision and spent a morning wiring the loft with Cat5e