Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VMWare buys B-Hive

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2008, 08:14 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMWare buys B-Hive

Very interesting press release from VMWare I have seen today....

"The B-hive virtual appliance, Conductor, is able to discover the applications running inside each virtual machine in the virtual infrastructure, to track how the end-users are interacting with them and how the apps are interacting with different resources (storage, network, other applications).
At this point, following service level agreement (SLA) rules Conductor can interact with VMware Virtual Center and improve the performance of those virtual machines running relevant applications.
This goal can be achieved in several ways: by restarting the VMs if they are down, by granting them a higher priority access to physical resources or by moving them on less busy virtualization hosts).
Conductor is even able to shut down the VMs hosting applications which are not needed or to interact with 3rd party load balancing applications to change their load sharing settings depending on how the virtualized applications are performing."

Dave
Old 30 June 2008, 11:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

We (EMC) appear to buy companies every other day

Steve
Old 01 July 2008, 12:11 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Booooooo VMware
Old 01 July 2008, 05:44 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Having recently spent some time with Citrix looking at Xen Server and the application virtualisation I wondered how long it would take VMWare to be doing the same sort of thing. Its the next step on from server virtualisation.

Dave
Old 01 July 2008, 01:40 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I've always found VMWare an excellent product. It really helped us solve a previously insurmountable obstacle in one particular application.

I've heard people mention VMWare with server environments. I work in the SME sector, where the smaller companies I deal with tend to only have a couple of servers. Is there a trick I'm missing where it could be implemented ?
Old 01 July 2008, 08:50 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Yes you can probably run smaller SMEs with a few servers on one big powerful one, but I would always go for a minimum of 2 so that you offer HA to your applications at least.

PM me if you want to talk more about this, I deal with SMEs and VMWare at work.

Dave
Old 02 July 2008, 10:55 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Having recently spent some time with Citrix looking at Xen Server and the application virtualisation I wondered how long it would take VMWare to be doing the same sort of thing. Its the next step on from server virtualisation.

Dave
yeah looks like you guys and us are over lapping in all sorts of areas now Competition is always a good thing!