Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Company brainwashing

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2016, 10:38 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Company brainwashing

Yes we have Jack :-) Hi Jack.But generally amazing how you do get sucked in.

Had iphones for couple of years .They became tiresome.Went Samsung,great.

However,tablet wise always had Amazon kit.Been great.Never had an apple tablet though,so thought I would try it.

Just re packaged ipad and returning it.Just in no way user friendly to me.I know I have been sucked in too,but the amazon experience just so much better.The ipad lasted a good 45 mins before I boxed it up to return
Old 06 December 2016, 10:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My 6s is not performing at what its supposed to do .

Calls and internet ! ...and texts , since iPhone texts go over the internet !

thought it was network all this time , till I was stood in apple shop in Middle of town( 100 yards from voda shop) with it not connecting / taking minutes to bring up a page ( and shop assistant on his with same network).

wasn't going to queue for hours for a genius

lost load business I'm afraid.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:38 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People develop brand loyalty, in some cases, like jack, become obsessed. Pretty easy to see when a users posts are 99/100 about one subject lol
Old 07 December 2016, 08:45 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Easy now, I'm not obsessed, just a happy customer.
Old 07 December 2016, 08:50 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Easy now, I'm not obsessed, just a happy customer.
I dont think we even need to bother reviewing your posts to decide you are lol
Old 07 December 2016, 08:51 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
People develop brand loyalty, in some cases, like jack, become obsessed. Pretty easy to see when a users posts are 99/100 about one subject lol
People have done this for a long time, look at Holden and Ford rivalry down under, its worse then religion,
I know a family who think that the only make of car worth owning is a VX(or Opel) but none of their family have owned anything but VX`s, the kids are pre programmed the same way, its funny, but they are deadly serious,
It`s like a mental health issue when people are blinded in such a way imo.
Old 07 December 2016, 09:03 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
People have done this for a long time, look at Holden and Ford rivalry down under, its worse then religion,
I know a family who think that the only make of car worth owning is a VX(or Opel) but none of their family have owned anything but VX`s, the kids are pre programmed the same way, its funny, but they are deadly serious,
It`s like a mental health issue when people are blinded in such a way imo.
like scoobs and those dirty rotten evo's? lol
Old 07 December 2016, 09:08 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

like scoobs and those dirty rotten evo's? lol
This always makes me smile, as they are both owned by the same Heavy Industries, so are the same family, if just cousins.
Old 07 December 2016, 09:11 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Thought mitsubishi was a group of business self owned, not owned by FHI?
Old 07 December 2016, 09:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The most brainwashed are the people who get wound up about companies that produce products they don't own. It's a whole level deeper.

We'll see some evidence of brainwashing sooner than expected, not having a headphone socket will become OK, nothing to talk about just a month after it was a travesty worth grabbing the pitchforks for.
Old 07 December 2016, 09:58 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

The most brainwashed are the people who get wound up about companies that produce products they don't own. It's a whole level deeper.

We'll see some evidence of brainwashing sooner than expected, not having a headphone socket will become OK, nothing to talk about just a month after it was a travesty worth grabbing the pitchforks for.
i wouldnt highlight the limitations of crapple, sales figures arnt looking to rosey hahaha
Old 07 December 2016, 10:48 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

But Motorola binned off the headphone jack on the Moto Z and nobody made a fuss then...
Old 07 December 2016, 11:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil-h
But Motorola binned off the headphone jack on the Moto Z and nobody made a fuss then...
Exactly, and now Samsung with the S8. I seriously doubt there'll be headline news even though Android is 89% of the market
Old 07 December 2016, 11:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Never mind that

The headline figures are that the equipment doesn't work well when you get it
Old 07 December 2016, 12:07 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Never mind that

The headline figures are that the equipment doesn't work well when you get it
Really depends what you're used to. I swap between ios/windows/android on an almost hourly basis and (other the odd Microsoft moment) I really don't think any one of the three operating systems is significantly better/worse than the other.

Besides, I wouldn't have said 45 minutes is long enough to make a real judgement on whether or not the device is any good. You're still in the realms of learning the roaps in that period of time.
Old 07 December 2016, 12:11 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

My issue with apple stuff is the lack of flexability, hardware and software
Old 07 December 2016, 12:15 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

My issue with apple stuff is the lack of flexability, hardware and software
Any chance of a couple of examples?
Old 07 December 2016, 12:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Learning the roaps?

Maybe had ropey connection issues as well
Old 07 December 2016, 12:41 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Any chance of a couple of examples?
whats the max ram you can get in one? if its not into tripple digits don't even reply (although you wont be replying)

What graphics options? etc etc etc
Old 07 December 2016, 12:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

whats the max ram you can get in one? if its not into tripple digits don't even reply (although you wont be replying)

128GB. For graphics you are more limited, easily enough to produce cinema level movies but not enough to play Crysis on full whack, so if your'e a 'Battlestation' level gamer, look elsewhere.
Old 07 December 2016, 01:14 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Learning the roaps?

Maybe had ropey connection issues as well
Blame the shoddy Microsoft spell check, that never would've happened on my ipad.

Jacks covered it by the looks of it.
Old 07 December 2016, 01:20 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

128GB. For graphics you are more limited, easily enough to produce cinema level movies but not enough to play Crysis on full whack, so if your'e a 'Battlestation' level gamer, look elsewhere.
no, this is for business use. Water network modeling is a good example
Old 07 December 2016, 01:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

no, this is for business use. Water network modeling is a good example
Unlimited budget crack on, Windows runs great on the Mac Pro as do other operating systems.
Old 07 December 2016, 01:50 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Unlimited budget crack on, Windows runs great on the Mac Pro as do other operating systems.
Ah so your actually clueless about the higher end uses then, i think we have found out why you don't understand the problems with apple. You don;t have high end uses and your not into gaming, two things that will show major limitations of computers.

Given the costs compared to a few years ago its a bargin. Some models can take days or over a week to run, if we can save 20% or even 40% of the time then its a bargin.

lets say we can build a machine for 8-10k, but it saves us 40% of the time. We can take on 40% more work. High end machines are never idle and always more work than machine time available. So any saving is hard not to justify.

But as said, if your not trying to support high end activity's you wont have a clue.
Old 07 December 2016, 04:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Ah so your actually clueless about the higher end uses then, i think we have found out why you don't understand the problems with apple. You don;t have high end uses and your not into gaming, two things that will show major limitations of computers.

Given the costs compared to a few years ago its a bargin. Some models can take days or over a week to run, if we can save 20% or even 40% of the time then its a bargin.

lets say we can build a machine for 8-10k, but it saves us 40% of the time. We can take on 40% more work. High end machines are never idle and always more work than machine time available. So any saving is hard not to justify.

But as said, if your not trying to support high end activity's you wont have a clue.
Why would I not have a clue, it's all pretty obvious. If you can talk the IT department into spending twice as much for a computer that costs that much due to things they'll never use then you should work for the government.

I don't pretend that Apple computers are the answer to everything, otherwise why would I spend twice as much at Dell than I've spent at Apple in the last 5 years. I also don't believe they're **** at everything.
Old 07 December 2016, 04:29 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Why would I not have a clue, it's all pretty obvious. If you can talk the IT department into spending twice as much for a computer that costs that much due to things they'll never use then you should work for the government.

I don't pretend that Apple computers are the answer to everything, otherwise why would I spend twice as much at Dell than I've spent at Apple in the last 5 years. I also don't believe they're **** at everything.
Did you not red the post? or did it not compute? hahaha

We as a company save a fortune by using high spec machines. Time is money as they say. Apple is flashy junk in the high end game.
Old 07 December 2016, 05:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Did you not red the post? or did it not compute? hahaha

We as a company save a fortune by using high spec machines. Time is money as they say. Apple is flashy junk in the high end game.
I fully understand. What you fail to understand is that in other circumstance your machines are a complete waste of money and time, give one to your receptionist see how she gets on. They are no doubt brilliant at whatever it is you do and as such will save you money.

You bring your high spec machine to work with me and it's the junk in a high end game. What's your point?
Old 07 December 2016, 06:02 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

There's no place for that sort of logic in here
Old 07 December 2016, 07:22 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

I fully understand. What you fail to understand is that in other circumstance your machines are a complete waste of money and time, give one to your receptionist see how she gets on. They are no doubt brilliant at whatever it is you do and as such will save you money.

You bring your high spec machine to work with me and it's the junk in a high end game. What's your point?
I was asked for an example of apples lack of flexability, but you decided to argue the point as seems to be the usual when anyone mentions their limitations lol
Old 07 December 2016, 08:56 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure the comparison being made is entirely fair - there are some tasks that require proper workstation hardware, I dont think any apple product makes claims to be in that space?

I used to do some work with ESRI products and orthorectified photography, the PC's used were HP XW8600 workstations - which offered server spec hardware with ECC RAM and loads of it, without the noise generated by cooling fans - no laptop or PC would cut it for that particular task. I have also seen software houses in days gone by replace their development hardware every 6 months, to keep to a minimum the aggregated time lost by developers waiting while code compiles.