Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacBooks........

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2016, 06:13 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacBooks........

Talk about over priced junk, Apple really do take the biscuit.

MacBook Pro's bleeding-edge graphics: Like a gaming PC from 2012
http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=76262427

Apple defends expensive MacBook Pro pricing: 'We design for the experience'

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=76242201

#They design for ripping off idiots more like
Old 29 October 2016, 06:14 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, I'll be the first...

Old 29 October 2016, 06:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Second

Old 29 October 2016, 06:37 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Ironically, I think the man himself would be turning in his grave

Steve Jobs would probably be rather upset with what Apple has become today
http://qz.com/822818/steve-jobs-woul...pl-has-become/

Apple doesn’t technically have a monopoly on smartphones or laptop computers or the other categories of products it produces. But its extremely high prices for things such as add-on iPhone and MacBook memory attest to the market power it has over consumers. And its notoriously rapturous marketing-speak about upgrades that merely bring its products up to par with competitors is wearing thin with its critics.
Old 29 October 2016, 06:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to buy my daughter a mac book pro on the student rate but she prefers windows so I bought her a Lenevo laptop on Amazon deal of the day with improved specs and lighter than a Mac air, it's even lighter than her iPad .
Old 29 October 2016, 07:13 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Why not, thirded.

Old 29 October 2016, 10:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I've had a Macbook Air for around 4yrs, got to say I love it, does what it says on the tin with no fuss, which is more than I can say for the various windows based computers and laptops I had before.

If you wana play, you got to pay, or as they say out here in Croatia, "Koliko para, Koliko muzika"
Old 29 October 2016, 10:54 PM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
Old 30 October 2016, 11:07 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toffee_pie
Talk about over priced junk, Apple really do take the biscuit.

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=76262427

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=76242201

#They design for ripping off idiots more like

If you want a laptop for gaming, you would never buy a Mac. It's just...not their thing.
Old 30 October 2016, 01:07 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Don't feed the troll.
Old 30 October 2016, 01:59 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Originally Posted by Beef

If you want a laptop for gaming, you would never buy a Mac. It's just...not their thing.
So its perfectly acceptable for them to use a crap ATI GPU and charge a kings ransom in the process.

They might not have gamers in mind but they could at least put in a semi decent GPU and have more than a stingy 16GB of RAM available.

and...

For a little extra weight, you can even get laptops with desktop-level GTX 1070 or 1080 cards, which are hilariously better than the Radeon Pro 400s in the MacBook Pros.
but Apple fan boys are used to getting mugged for years now.
Old 31 October 2016, 02:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The Worlds Fastest Laptop

Pointless, but worth a mention.
Old 31 October 2016, 01:53 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Typical Apple...soldering memory to the motherboard. They would do the same to SSD drives if they could.

And LOL at capping the memory to 16GB.
My Msi laptop is destroying the ozone layer as we speak.

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=4&articleid=76406463&sour ce=drive

We already know that RAM is capped at 16GB, supposedly due to energy efficiency concerns. But if you purchase a MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, you won't be able to upgrade it. The RAM is soldered to the logic board, which means you can't pick off the shelf components to upgrade it to 16GB.
Old 31 October 2016, 02:13 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

While I agree with some of the things said in this thread, its worth noting that the build quality of a Macbook Pro far exceeds the average Windows laptop.

The weight, looks, cooling properties (of at least the later versions) & battery life are often in a different league really.

Ive always been a PC man myself, but I've been using an early 2015 13" Macbook Pro professionally for just under 2 years now. It is normally either on my desk, driving an additional 2x 1080P displays as well as its own at 2560x1600 with ease, or out on site with me lasting a genuine full day on a charge, running multiple VM's at a time again with ease due to its PCIe SSD and core i5.

I can simply close the lid, unplug from my monitors take it to site and open it up for it to be ready to be used instantly. I would never buy a Windows Laptop now. (I also cant remember the last time i actually shut it down)

If I wanted pure power and/or a gaming rig then obviously windows all the way.

That being said. The 'Pro' models should have numerous different I/O as is required. I don't want to be lugging round a bag full of adapters for various bits of kit. I would expect the ultra thin Macbook to have the multiple USB-C ports only, not the pro.

Last edited by ccsimpreza; 31 October 2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 31 October 2016, 05:37 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...4&source=drive

Here's the truth: Apple's new MacBook Pro isn't for pros. Not all of them, anyhow.

It's not for photographers who quickly offload pictures from SD cards, or writers who need a comfortable keyboard. It's not for businesspeople who plug into TVs and projectors to show off their PowerPoint, or video editors who need a lot of graphical muscle.

It's not for artists and graphic designers who use pens or touchscreens to do their work -- or anyone who needs more than 16GB of memory.

It's also not for DJs, despite what you might have seen . "Watching someone DJ with the top of a keyboard was just embarrassing," writes Peter Kirn, founder of Create Digital Music.
Fret not Apple, it's for Jack.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:05 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toffee_pie
Yep, just said that in the post above.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's definitely still for photographers, I know quite a few who are getting one, pretty much all of them already don't plug cards into their devices, Windows or MacOS.
Video editors that need a lot of muscle use custom built rigs, not running Windows or MacOS for anyone that doesn't need 'muscle' and that's a lot let me tell you use a desktop machine mostly, the ones I work with use iMac's and Mac Pro's exclusively, that's for a mainstream TV show watch by a lot of people. For the rest us us not working for the media a Macbook will be awesome for video, iMovie is excellent software and free!!
A pen won't help a Macbook user either, the screen angle is all wrong, use an external device or an iPad pro, those are awesome.
Lot of DJ's use a Macbook, I mean a serious amount of them, reliable and long lasting.
As for the 16GB thing you've picked up on, are you boycotting the best machines from Dell and Microsoft as well? Those are the same for the same reasons no doubt. Don't forget the 2016 Macbook is the fastest Laptop in the world, even with a paltry 16GB, unfathomable really.

So, I see your copy and paste and give you real world usage and a face full of custard pie... again!!

Last edited by JackClark; 31 October 2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:18 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Don't forget the 2016 Macbook is the fastest Laptop in the world, even with a paltry 16GB, unfathomable really.
Fastest storage, that's it.

So if you judge your laptop by hard disk benchmarks then....

At $1900 this is incredibly expensive http://www.pcmag.com/review/348484/o...17-x-10-series but I think it might be a little faster than a 2016 Macbook....

Last edited by Galifrey; 31 October 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Old 31 October 2016, 06:28 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
Fastest storage, that's it.

So if you judge your laptop by hard disk benchmarks then....

At $1900 this is incredibly expensive http://www.pcmag.com/review/348484/o...17-x-10-series but I think it might be a little faster than a 2016 Macbook....
Look at the ****ing state of that

Last edited by ccsimpreza; 31 October 2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Probably has a massive power brick too.
Old 31 October 2016, 09:56 PM
toffee_pie
BANNED

Originally Posted by JackClark
It's definitely still for photographers, I know quite a few who are getting one, pretty much all of them already don't plug cards into their devices, Windows or MacOS.
Video editors that need a lot of muscle use custom built rigs, not running Windows or MacOS for anyone that doesn't need 'muscle' and that's a lot let me tell you use a desktop machine mostly, the ones I work with use iMac's and Mac Pro's exclusively, that's for a mainstream TV show watch by a lot of people. For the rest us us not working for the media a Macbook will be awesome for video, iMovie is excellent software and free!!
A pen won't help a Macbook user either, the screen angle is all wrong, use an external device or an iPad pro, those are awesome.
Lot of DJ's use a Macbook, I mean a serious amount of them, reliable and long lasting.
As for the 16GB thing you've picked up on, are you boycotting the best machines from Dell and Microsoft as well? Those are the same for the same reasons no doubt.
Don't forget the 2016 Macbook is the fastest Laptop in the world, even with a paltry 16GB, unfathomable really.
So, I see your copy and paste and give you real world usage and a face full of custard pie... again!!
Jack, you are sad and lonely, get a life. Apple have made all the money from making eegits of people like you for years.

Here's how the MacBook performed in our suite of benchmark tests:
Geekbench 3 (Single Core): 2,938; Multi Core: 5,900

My clunky old MSI

I wont post up GPU bench marks from my laptop as it will just further ridicule you.

You are such a troll its funny, if Apple sold excrement from senior Apple execs you would probably buy.

Last edited by toffee_pie; 31 October 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 31 October 2016, 10:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've made more money from Apple than they've made from me. You could have too if you'd taken my advice a few months back when you joined.