Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How much for the new MBP?!!!!!!!! :o

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2016, 08:05 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much for the new MBP?!!!!!!!! :o

Apple have announced new MacBooks and a few other updates...

Jack, you know I'm on your side when it comes to Apple but those prices are obsurde. £2400 for a 15" MBP which now doesn't come with a card slot or USB?

I've had mine since 2011 and at those prices I'm pretty sure I'll be giving Win10 a go.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:30 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Pretty pricey, but then my 2010 MacBook Pro was £2500 so given the Brexit induced price increase, I'd say they're a bargain

It's still running like a champ though 6 years later, total cost of ownership is real.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:31 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the 15" version from £1900.

Though tha being said I've never had any problems with my 13" mbp.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Card slot and USB I couldn't have lived without 2 years ago, but neither have been used -now I'm lying as I'm out working and charging my iPad I forgot to charge last night - on this machine for a good while... it has a CD drive too, not tears for that going either.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:34 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

£2400 for a 15" laptop and you think its a bargin? lmao. Some people are deluded
Old 28 October 2016, 08:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Worth noting that the Surface Book Pro from Microsoft costs more.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
£2400 for a 15" laptop and you think its a bargin? lmao. Some people are deluded
Buy cheap buy twice
Old 28 October 2016, 08:37 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Buy cheap buy twice
or pay through your **** for nothing special. I'm guessing your the resident apple worshiper then?
Old 28 October 2016, 08:42 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

or pay through your **** for nothing special. I'm guessing your the resident apple worshiper then?
Not really, I'm someone who makes a living using Apple products and they've always served me well, yes the initial investment is greater than most PC's but just like IBM I understand that in the long run I'm saving money.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Are you our new Apple hater? That would be cool as the last one just quit.
Old 28 October 2016, 08:51 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Ah so thats a yes then lmao.

Do i hate apple? not sure tbh, thats a pretty strong word.

Do i think they over price items for what they are? Yes

Do i think you can buy more capable equipment for less money? yes

Gone are the days when apple was totaly rock solid tech, plug and play and no worries about virus's.

So back to the question, no i don't think i do hate apple, i just think they exploit their customer base.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:13 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Was waiting for the new models for my Mum, who's looking to switch over from an ancient Dell.

However the significantly higher price, no SD card slot (she uses it), no USB type-A ports (uses them) and no HDMI socket (yup, uses that too) were bad enough, but at that level of price increase?

I'll recommend she picks up an outgoing model quick before stocks disappear.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:16 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Ah so thats a yes then lmao.

Do i hate apple? not sure tbh, thats a pretty strong word.

Do i think they over price items for what they are? Yes

Do i think you can buy more capable equipment for less money? yes

Gone are the days when apple was totaly rock solid tech, plug and play and no worries about virus's.

So back to the question, no i don't think i do hate apple, i just think they exploit their customer base.
That's your opinion and I respect that. Here's hoping you can respect mine.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:16 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Beef
Was waiting for the new models for my Mum, who's looking to switch over from an ancient Dell.

However the significantly higher price, no SD card slot (she uses it), no USB type-A ports (uses them) and no HDMI socket (yup, uses that too) were bad enough, but at that level of price increase?

The MacBooks are very, very nice. Does she need a Pro?
Old 28 October 2016, 09:25 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

If she is currently using an ancient one she wont need anything mega spec (obviously not using anything too demanding). Low to mid rang windows laptop will be 1/10th the price and can just upgrade it ever 2 years, have a regular nice shiny new one and save a fortune in the long run.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:31 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Disappointed there was no imac refresh as I was hoping for a drop in price in the refurb store. But the price increase in the macbook's is crazy and the refurb store will be popular with people snapping up the current models at much lower prices.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:33 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

That's your opinion and I respect that. Here's hoping you can respect mine.
I can respect an opinion, but doesn't mean people should blindly follow it.

Like all purchases you need to look at cost vs benefit, and after looking at dozens of purchase specifications for different departments, including home use systems, I'm yet to come across any time in the past 5 years where apple would be the one to go for. Doing the same before that did yield different recommendations (mainly reliability and security where cost is a lower score on the required specification), but that edge has long since gone.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:38 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

The MacBooks are very, very nice. Does she need a Pro?
I borrowed a mid-2014 MBP from work for her to trial using one; she's a fan of the retina screen, which ruled out the Air, and the lack of ports disqualified the 'normal' Macbook. What she wants is to plug her laptop into her TV for various reasons, hence the HDMI,, and to transfer pics from her camera easily, hence the SD card slot. She also wants to connect up her existing keyboard/mouse and USB disk.

If it had simply been the elimination of those, it might have still been surmountable by accepting the faff of adapters - she's not a fan of having to worry about extra cables and associated faff - but the magnitude of the price bump is just putting the boot in.

I can pick up an outgoing model on Amazon for less than a grand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UY2U93W, so I'll recommend she does that.

To my mind, the total elimination of USB A ports was a mistake - a mix of USB-A would have allowed a more graceful transition for users - but it's clear the intent is you buy a dock for extra ports and charging, which is making the already lumpy increase even worse.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Disappointed there was no imac refresh as I was hoping for a drop in price in the refurb store. But the price increase in the macbook's is crazy and the refurb store will be popular with people snapping up the current models at much lower prices.
I'm working in a TV studio right now, we were all hoping for iMacs as they and I need a refresh. No doubt it'll be along soon enough.
Old 28 October 2016, 09:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I can respect an opinion, but doesn't mean people should blindly follow it.

Like all purchases you need to look at cost vs benefit, and after looking at dozens of purchase specifications for different departments, including home use systems, I'm yet to come across any time in the past 5 years where apple would be the one to go for. Doing the same before that did yield different recommendations (mainly reliability and security where cost is a lower score on the required specification), but that edge has long since gone.
IBM don't agree with you, but that's just their and my opinion, your experience may be different.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...t-thought.html
Old 28 October 2016, 10:03 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

First off its US based figures and its based on a single company needs. What they used as a specification for purchases wont become public so you will never know.

Other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to upgrade machines. Its alot easier with a pc than a mac. We tend to end up buying machines with specific motherboards but basic other components to give us the flexibility we need. By the time you play with discounts and number if units purchased via agreements works out alot cheaper that way.

We also use custom written software and involved in development of others, macs fall down big time when it comes to that.

But that's all kinda going off topic from the original point.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:34 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I'm working in a TV studio right now, we were all hoping for iMacs as they and I need a refresh. No doubt it'll be along soon enough.
Won't be this year though as I can't see them calling another conference straight after this one, they would have just lumped them in together so unlikely it will be before March now which will also tie in with the intel road map. This is the first year they haven't refreshed the imacs in October from what I can remember.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:41 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I borrowed a mid-2014 MBP from work for her to trial using one; she's a fan of the retina screen, which ruled out the Air, and the lack of ports disqualified the 'normal' Macbook. What she wants is to plug her laptop into her TV for various reasons, hence the HDMI,, and to transfer pics from her camera easily, hence the SD card slot. She also wants to connect up her existing keyboard/mouse and USB disk.

If it had simply been the elimination of those, it might have still been surmountable by accepting the faff of adapters - she's not a fan of having to worry about extra cables and associated faff - but the magnitude of the price bump is just putting the boot in.

I can pick up an outgoing model on Amazon for less than a grand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UY2U93W, so I'll recommend she does that.

To my mind, the total elimination of USB A ports was a mistake - a mix of USB-A would have allowed a more graceful transition for users - but it's clear the intent is you buy a dock for extra ports and charging, which is making the already lumpy increase even worse.
That Amazon link is not a UK model as when they state it comes with UK plug it's a give away it's an import otherwise why need to mention it. The UK model can be had on the refurb store same spec for £1059 and i'd rather pay the extra for UK keyboard and not have a foreign model.
Old 28 October 2016, 04:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy cheap buy twice
I'm on my 3rd windows laptop in over a ten year period and I'm due another one soon. I'm not buying new because I have to but because I want something newer. Even if I buy another new laptop I won't be anywhere near £2500, I bet probably a grand less and I have bought some good laptops.
Old 28 October 2016, 05:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
I'm on my 3rd windows laptop in over a ten year period and I'm due another one soon. I'm not buying new because I have to but because I want something newer. Even if I buy another new laptop I won't be anywhere near £2500, I bet probably a grand less and I have bought some good laptops.
Don't forget the time it took you to transfer everything to these new laptops, the time it took to find and order them, it all counts, plus think of the environment.
Old 28 October 2016, 06:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Laptops are for browsing the web, I have nothing I'm bothered about loosing on it plus I transfer important stuff straight to a separate drive so if things go down I still have it

If its wasn't for how expensive cloud storage etc would be for my photos I would have no bother using them but I have over 30gig of pictures so they are on quite a few separate drives. Same as all my mp3's are on a few drives.
Old 28 October 2016, 10:42 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Laptops are for browsing the web, I have nothing I'm bothered about loosing on it plus I transfer important stuff straight to a separate drive so if things go down I still have it

If its wasn't for how expensive cloud storage etc would be for my photos I would have no bother using them but I have over 30gig of pictures so they are on quite a few separate drives. Same as all my mp3's are on a few drives.
You get 50gb free with Mega and it's encrypted but it's more a case of if you trust the service provider.

I have all my stuff on OneDrive as i've got 45gb free on there through various promotions over the years and use Microsoft's 2 step verification with an app on my phone so if any access is attempted I am notified with an option to allow or deny.
Old 29 October 2016, 10:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Good article on pricing

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/28/1...sive-exclusive
Old 29 October 2016, 06:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Until the $ auto corrects MacBooks are going to be very expensive .

Last edited by stevebt; 29 October 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 29 October 2016, 06:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Until the $ auto corrects MacBooks are going to be very expensive .
Auto corrects? Do you mean if Donald gets voted in and the US has a Brexit moment?