Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a home network in a house so we can all use broadband???

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 02:47 AM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, i am a student moving into a house in 3 months and we are considering the need for a broadband internet connection, the house has it's phone connected through NTL but the question is what do i need to let 6 people share the connection?? (please bear in mind we are all poor students).

Any help greatfully recieved!!

Mcbrun555
Old 12 June 2002, 07:28 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

6 Port Router or buy a 4 and use the uplink with a hub!
Old 06 December 2002, 03:28 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

If one PC will be on all the time the connection is needed, then it's pretty easy. All you need is a Hub with at least 6 ports and 6 pieces of RJ45 Cat 5 Cable. The rest you can do with Windows.

If it's not practical to leave a PC on then you'll need a router of some kind, which is where it starts to get expensive.

Presuming you dont need the router, setup goes something like this..

1- install a Network Interface Card in each PC.

2- connect the RJ45 cable into each PC and run them to one central location where your going to put the hub.

3- plug the cables in and plug the hub in.

4- One by one go round and set up each PC. This is reasonably easy to do and there are loads of places that will tell you how to do it. Basically, you go into the network part of the control pannel and set up all the PCs so the are all on the same work group, and each has a unique name. To make connection sharing easier, you should really assign each PC an IP Address, not too difficult, start the first PC with the IP address 192.168.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 (screenshot below for XP, similar setup for 98 etc)

5- Set up the internet connection on the PC that your putting it on, and write down that PCs IP address. Next you need to install ICS off the Windows CD, don't bother with client disks.

6- Go round each PC and set the Default Gateway address to the IP of the machine running the Internet connection, and your sorted. The only other thing you may need to add is DNS servers, these are specific to your ISP and you should find them on the ISP website, but you might not need them.

That should be it, although I'm not entirelly sure, it's been a while since I did this on my network.

[edit to add..]That screenshot is the TCP/IP properties, you'll need to install those from the windows CD onto each PC when you install the network card. That setup is for my network where 192.168.1.1 is the IP of my router which forwards the DNS requests to a DNS server automatically. [/edit]

[Edited by AndiThompson - 6/12/2002 3:32:03 AM]