Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FLAC and ALAC audio format

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2016, 02:20 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLAC and ALAC audio format

How have I only just found out about this? The quality is superb and noticeable.

Previously I'd been importing music as 320kbps MP3 but I've started downloading FLAC albums and converting them to ALAC (Apple's lossless format) so that I can play it through my itunes library and iphone.

I highly recommend it... this format should be made more known to the average person. Now I'm going to have to see if there's FLAC versions for my existing albums
Old 25 April 2016, 03:49 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about ALE, but with FLAC, depending on the sampling frequency and bit rate the files can be huge. Audio dynamics of the track have a bearing also on the file size - I have a lot of my stuff (that which I bought on CD) ripped using FLAC and duplicated to mp3 for convenience. Music collection currently stands at somewhere around 3Tb.
Old 25 April 2016, 05:08 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Damn that's a huge collection! Yes FLAC and ALAC files are a fair bit bigger than standard MP3 but storage is so cheap these days it's worth it for the improvement in quality. Pair up with some quality in ear headphones and the difference is night and day.
Old 25 April 2016, 07:44 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Damn that's a huge collection! Yes FLAC and ALAC files are a fair bit bigger than standard MP3 but storage is so cheap these days it's worth it for the improvement in quality. Pair up with some quality in ear headphones and the difference is night and day.
Storage is only cheap up to a certain point - I passed that point years ago!!!

My movie & box-set collection stands at just under 20Tb, with my music collection taking up a further 3Tb.

I have a 24Tb (32Tb Raw) raid 10 array just to store this stuff. Total cost just under £2K. I then have a replicated back up of this on identical hardware in my roofspace that is another £2K. You can see I am already tight on capacity - so either increase the drive sizes the largest enterprise drives available or buy 2 more NAS units or a combo of both. 6Tb WD Se drives at £250 a throw and I'd need 16 of them that's £4K without buying spares.

Its an illness!!!
Old 26 April 2016, 03:21 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I don't get how you can have that much data
Old 27 April 2016, 06:26 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

4K p0rn
Old 28 April 2016, 04:20 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

FLAC has been the future of high end audio for quite some time.
When you start getting into genuine 24bit 96khz and above genuine masters and play them through a decent system, the A-B comparison between that and a high end CD source can be astoundingly good. However - 24bit albums weigh in at a few gigabytes as a rule.

The problem, as you rightly say, is storage media. Ive been streaming for quite a few years now, including movies with full DTS True HD soundtracks and a good quality movie like Spectre weighs in at over 40GB. 30+ GB of which is the audio. Lossless is awesome, but god it kills your storage servers!

Im using a Synology 716+ to stream now, got it recently and its absolutely top notch, really love it.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 28 April 2016 at 04:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2016, 04:24 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I don't get how you can have that much data
3D **** in 4K has a hefty file weight to it. (so im told) LOL
Old 28 April 2016, 08:09 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Steaming is a no go for me due to my Internet speeds. But I think I'm going to need a new setup as my Laptop is quickly running out of space... 250gb. I do have a 1TB USB external hard drive which I could store my iTunes library on, but I don't want the hassle of plugging and unplugging the drive all the time.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to Home Theatre PC's and network storage systems etc etc. I haven't researched and learnt how it all works.

I definitely want a Sonso speaker system eventually. I know it's not top audiophile hardware but from all the reviews, it seems darn good and it would fit my needs (multiroom wireless).
Old 29 April 2016, 09:31 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Went on an impulse spending spree... Bought a Drobo NAS with 4TB storage and a Mac Mini to act as a Home Theatre PC... Used off eBay mind.

Computer wise, all I have is my MacBook Pro Retina which has 250GB storage and my 1TB external USB drive which I'm constantly plugging and unplugging. Now I shouldn't have to worry!

Last edited by LSherratt; 29 April 2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 30 April 2016, 04:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Are you planning to stick all that stuff in proximity to your TV?

If you would rather have it centrally located in your home, and only want a single small device under your tv or even hidden behind your TV, it is all possible with Plex.

Happy to talk you through it if you want to give it a go.
Old 30 April 2016, 06:46 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

My BT home hub is behind my TV where the master socket is. I've got a big oak TV unit so I'm going to hide the drobo (connected via Ethernet into the hub) and the Mac mini in the TV unit.