Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Connectify & WiFi antenna

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2016, 03:09 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connectify & WiFi antenna

I have a static caravan in France with site wide WiFi - but the subscription is linked to a single device / mac address.

Historically I ran a PC with 2 WiFi cards running Connectify - so I had one big directional antenna pointing at the site one, then another forming a local hot spot.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 seems to have broken everything, and I think it's a WiFi card compatibility issue. So I need to buy at least 1 new card.

So.... I was looking at new cards and some have multiple antenna - but it's not clear to me whether I can mix different antenna types on a single card - does anyone know ?

Would I be better still having a couple of separate cards ?
Old 18 April 2016, 06:01 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alistair
I have a static caravan in France with site wide WiFi - but the subscription is linked to a single device / mac address.

Historically I ran a PC with 2 WiFi cards running Connectify - so I had one big directional antenna pointing at the site one, then another forming a local hot spot.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 seems to have broken everything, and I think it's a WiFi card compatibility issue. So I need to buy at least 1 new card.

So.... I was looking at new cards and some have multiple antenna - but it's not clear to me whether I can mix different antenna types on a single card - does anyone know ?

Would I be better still having a couple of separate cards ?
I would imagine the number of antennas on your card is completely irrelevant, unless that card is specifically designed to support simultaneous connections to two different SSIDs (and I'm not aware of any that are).
Multiple antennas may improve signal reception/broadcast strength though.
Old 18 April 2016, 09:57 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could fathom all this stuff out......

Connectify seem to claim supporting a hotspot using a single card, but think I will stick with 2 cards - one for the site wifi and another for a local hot spot.